Alarm systems? GPS trackers? anti theft devices?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by rocket dawg, Jun 5, 2021.

1. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

Interesting info. Do you guys lock your hood down?

2. Stone1971RSZ-28

Stone1971RSZ-28 New Member

I came out of Bass Pro in Memphis once to find an F350, blacked out windows, with a trailer (with a large winch) idling next to my car. After a short time while we were putting stuff in the car they eased off. Ever since that I've kept an old iPhone hidden in (and powered by) the car. I do think I'll look into the AirTags that 70lt1z28 mentioned above. Seems a lot cleaner and no sim to maintain. I was already doing a hidden power disable but if they just pull you onto a trailer there's not much you can do except track it. A good alarm is probably a good idea too I guess.

3. DennisG

DennisG Member

A lock is useless if the thief is competent and has lock picks.

I have an open car with a removable steering wheel that I carry away with me if I'm not near it. Security was not the point of the removable wheel, I just needed it to get into the car.

4. DennisG

DennisG Member

How far will small things like the air tags transmit?

5. Stone1971RSZ-28

They're only good for about 30'. Their only plus is they can use any device that's tied to a network (and has Bluetooth turned on). I picked one up and am playing around with it. Isn't bad I guess but only 'checks in' when it has a connection. I think I still prefer using an active iPhone. Since it has it's own sim it's always tied to the cell network and locates whenever you look for it.

6. DennisG

DennisG Member

My computer is hard wired no wifi, my dumb phone hangs on the wall and does not track me. can you please explain how this works? I could put a cell phone in a car but wouldn't it have to be on to be tracked? do smartphones turn on remotely?

7. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

Smart start by viper send alarm and location data to you phone. Kinda like LoJack but alerts come to your phone anywhere in the world.

8. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

Damn! I’d almost want to stay back and see if they were attempting something. That’s why concealed carry states are nice.

70-camaro and Stone1971RSZ-28 like this.
  9. Stone1971RSZ-28

Yes, the iPhone in the car would have to be on, have an active sim (active cell service) and logged into an Apple ID account. I also used a 12v usb adapter to power the phone so I wouldn't have to mess with it at all. Apple has a 'Find My' feature/app that allows you to locate other apple devices. You can see in real time on a map whatever device is being shared with you (have to set that up but isn't bad).
    The Air Tags use the same app, they just don't have built in cell connectivity. They have to connect (over Bluetooth) to a nearby cellphone or Bluetooth device and use them to locate. So, they can only let you know their location when they have a connection. If you dropped one out in a field it might never be found unless someone with a cell phone got within 30' of it. If it's in a populated area it'd probably be located easily. In the case of putting one in a car, it'd hopefully use the cell phone of whoever stole it to let you find it, ha.
    Hope that helps a little, I know I'm not explaining it very well. If you're interested, the best thing to do is if you have a couple of iPhones just play around with the Find My thing.

70lt1z28 likes this.
  10. Stone1971RSZ-28

Yeah, was an odd situation to be in. Didn't want to just step up to the truck and my wife was with me too. I did retrieve my carry from the trunk first thing just in case things went really south. I do think if we'd stayed inside much longer we'd have needed a way home. We just loaded our stuff in the car like nothing was up and they slowly pulled off. Crazy world.