Alcohol Detector In New Cars Within 3 Years

70lt1z28

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 3, 1999
Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
Not the seatbelt interlock tied to the ignition.
I meant these belts...
Automatic-seat-belts-in-a-1990_Honda_Civic-760x570.jpg

The ones that slid back in a track when you closed the door. (Or... However they were activated.)
Passive restraints while they were still developing airbags.

danbrennan

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 13, 1999
Brighton, MI
Oh, yes, I remember those things. I worked on a Chrysler system when I was at TRW. Luckily I never owned a car with them.

BonzoHansen

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 1, 2005
Scott from Hamilton, NJ
why do they need an Alcohol Detector for when Cars will be driving themselves soon? With that being the case, there should be a Mini-Bar in every car!
I'm a big fan of unintended consequences. I'm sticking to my prediction that self driving cars will lead to increases in binge drinking, alcoholism and possibly domestic violence.

doug m

Veteran Member
Mar 31, 2020
we cant even get past the check engine light sensors or tire pressure sensors being worth a poo yet. but if the sensor lets us drive drunk at least we have a way out. suppose we will ever hear"it said i was sober"

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
After 30 years of seeing what a drunk can do behind the wheel, I applaud the effort. It won't be perfect at first, but like everything else, it has to start somewhere. The first airplane didn't fly across the Atlantic.

I get the cynical arguments, but with electronics getting to the level they are at now I'm hoping something fairly seamless and unobtrusive can be put into play.

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
After 30 years of seeing what a drunk can do behind the wheel, I applaud the effort. It won't be perfect at first, but like everything else, it has to start somewhere. The first airplane didn't fly across the Atlantic.

I get the cynical arguments, but with electronics getting to the level they are at now I'm hoping something fairly seamless and unobtrusive can be put into play.
I wonder if that .08 will be adjustable somehow for jurisdictions that have different Impaired driving numbers. For example, my Canadian province is .04.

Lowend

Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca.
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 1999
San Jose, CA, USA
I'm a big fan of unintended consequences. I'm sticking to my prediction that self driving cars will lead to increases in binge drinking, alcoholism and possibly domestic violence.
I mean - we already have what are essentially self driving cars with Uber and Lyft. Three clicks on the cellphone and you're on your way home. It would be curious to see if there is a correlation between domestic violence and the rise of the app-based taxis. I know DUI's dropped significantly

Latest posts