Alcohol Detector In New Cars Within 3 Years

gramps

Veteran Member
Jul 5, 2009
mankato, mn
Well I guess that a 2024 model may be the newest vehicle I`ll own. I don`t do the alcohol thing but I`m tired of more and more Gov sticking their noses in my business. Just my mini rant.

this this a thousand times this.
Wasn’t the US started because of overbearing rulers and high taxes?.....yet here we are 200 and some years later......

The problem isn’t the car. Nor the rest of us law abiding citizens. The problem is the punishment or lack of
You get a simple dui (meaning no accidents or injuries just got pulled over) and you spend a night or 2 in the drunk tank pay some fines and later dudes - off to do it again. Why are there so many people with 2 or 3 or 5 or even 10 dui’s out there? It’s because the punishment is not enough to deter them! 1st time dui should get you a 6 month stay in the clink. Bet they think twice about doing that again. Make the 2nd offense 5 years. And make it KNOWN like a requirement of renewing drivers license. Must sign off on having read the list of minimum punishments for a dui.

70lt1z28

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 3, 1999
Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
we cant even get past the check engine light sensors or tire pressure sensors being worth a poo yet. but if the sensor lets us drive drunk at least we have a way out. suppose we will ever hear"it said i was sober"
That's a very good point. What if you blow and it lets you start the car. Then you drive and get pulled over or there's an accident and you blow high? A good lawyer could say that since the car system let you drive that there was "reasonable assurance" that the driver was not over the limit. Will these devices require periodic calibration (at owners expense, of course). I'm assuming the results are stored in the "black box" to be used as evidence later.

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
i LIKE the IDEA.....i do not see it coming to fruition any time soon. Maybe as a "valet" add on option like the "special keys" that only let you go 60 mph and the radio only goes half way.... But main stream everybody every time...doubt it.

BonzoHansen

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 1, 2005
Scott from Hamilton, NJ
You get a simple dui (meaning no accidents or injuries just got pulled over) and you spend a night or 2 in the drunk tank pay some fines
Maybe where you live.

1st Offense
Under New Jersey Law (P.L. 2003, CHAPTER 314), if an
offender’s BAC is 0.08 percent or higher, but less than
0.10 percent, or if an offender permits another person
with a BAC over 0.08 percent, but less than 0.10 percent
to operate a motor vehicle, the penalties are:
n A fine of $250-$400
n Imprisonment for up to 30 days
n Driver’s license forfeiture until ignition interlock
installed. Interlock required for 3 months
n A minimum of six hours a day for two consecutive
days in an Intoxicated Driver Resource Center
n An automobile insurance surcharge of $1,000 a
year for 3 years
If the offender’s BAC is 0.10 percent but less than 0.15
percent, or permits another person with a BAC of 0.10
percent but less than 0.15 percent to operate a motor
vehicle, the penalties are:
n A fine of $300-$500
n Imprisonment for up to 30 days
n Driver’s license forfeiture until ignition interlock
installed. Interlock required for 7 months to one
(1) year
n A minimum of six hours a day for two consecutive
days in an Intoxicated Driver Resource Center
n An automobile insurance surcharge of $1,000 a
year for 3 years
Offenders with a BAC of 0.15 percent or higher must
install an ignition interlock device in one vehicle they
principally operate during the license suspension
period of 4 to 6 months and for a period of 9 months to
15 months after license restoration.
https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...sQFnoECAsQAg&usg=AOvVaw0VebKJQpBGqwBvdew1PRHL

70lt1z28

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 3, 1999
Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
That's a very good point. What if you blow and it lets you start the car. Then you drive and get pulled over or there's an accident and you blow high? A good lawyer could say that since the car system let you drive that there was "reasonable assurance" that the driver was not over the limit. Will these devices require periodic calibration (at owners expense, of course). I'm assuming the results are stored in the "black box" to be used as evidence later.
Thinking on this further, I'm sure the auto manufacturers have already fully absolved themselves legally by way of lobbyists in DC so that the ultimate responsibility is the driver, no matter what the car does. I'll bet that is fully baked in the law. There wouldn't to even be a discussion if they hadn't.

La.Z8

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 6, 2003
N.W. Louisiana
Gramps, You bring up a good point, depending where one lives and the amount of $$$ one has for lawyers etc. While I was working as a Deputy Sheriff I was assigned for a while to courthouse duty, moving prisoners', security, bailiff duty, etc. One of the days I noticed a dude heading over to the probation reporting office, his oldest son went to school with and played sports with mine. Anyway we spoke for a bit and moved on. Later I stopped by the office and spoke with the Deputy in charge and he stated that the gentlemen was on his 5th DUI and was reporting in and had the information on where he finally had to have the interlock device installed in his vehicle. So I`m very aware how things can "get taken care of".

Latest posts