Alcohol Detector In New Cars Within 3 Years

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by danbrennan, Nov 15, 2021.

1. La.Z8

La.Z8 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well I guess that a 2024 model may be the newest vehicle I`ll own. I don`t do the alcohol thing but I`m tired of more and more Gov sticking their noses in my business. Just my mini rant.

2. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

it'll never happen

3. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Beat me to it. Unfortunately, I can't drink or do drugs but a joint or two would work!

4. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

this this a thousand times this.
    Wasn’t the US started because of overbearing rulers and high taxes?.....yet here we are 200 and some years later......

The problem isn’t the car. Nor the rest of us law abiding citizens. The problem is the punishment or lack of
    You get a simple dui (meaning no accidents or injuries just got pulled over) and you spend a night or 2 in the drunk tank pay some fines and later dudes - off to do it again. Why are there so many people with 2 or 3 or 5 or even 10 dui’s out there? It’s because the punishment is not enough to deter them! 1st time dui should get you a 6 month stay in the clink. Bet they think twice about doing that again. Make the 2nd offense 5 years. And make it KNOWN like a requirement of renewing drivers license. Must sign off on having read the list of minimum punishments for a dui.

La.Z8 and xten like this.
  5. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

That's a very good point. What if you blow and it lets you start the car. Then you drive and get pulled over or there's an accident and you blow high? A good lawyer could say that since the car system let you drive that there was "reasonable assurance" that the driver was not over the limit. Will these devices require periodic calibration (at owners expense, of course). I'm assuming the results are stored in the "black box" to be used as evidence later.

La.Z8 likes this.
  6. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i LIKE the IDEA.....i do not see it coming to fruition any time soon. Maybe as a "valet" add on option like the "special keys" that only let you go 60 mph and the radio only goes half way.... But main stream everybody every time...doubt it.

biker likes this.
  7. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Maybe where you live.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...sQFnoECAsQAg&usg=AOvVaw0VebKJQpBGqwBvdew1PRHL

8. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

9. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Thinking on this further, I'm sure the auto manufacturers have already fully absolved themselves legally by way of lobbyists in DC so that the ultimate responsibility is the driver, no matter what the car does. I'll bet that is fully baked in the law. There wouldn't to even be a discussion if they hadn't.

10. La.Z8

La.Z8 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gramps, You bring up a good point, depending where one lives and the amount of $$$ one has for lawyers etc. While I was working as a Deputy Sheriff I was assigned for a while to courthouse duty, moving prisoners', security, bailiff duty, etc. One of the days I noticed a dude heading over to the probation reporting office, his oldest son went to school with and played sports with mine. Anyway we spoke for a bit and moved on. Later I stopped by the office and spoke with the Deputy in charge and he stated that the gentlemen was on his 5th DUI and was reporting in and had the information on where he finally had to have the interlock device installed in his vehicle. So I`m very aware how things can "get taken care of".