Alcohol Detector In New Cars Within 3 Years

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by danbrennan, Nov 15, 2021.

1. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

that’s exactly what I’m saying. Why is there anybody that has more than 1 dui still driving. Sorry dumb enough to get a second dui? You can walk your ass to work. Call an Uber.

La.Z8 likes this.
  2. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Well, I'm thinking Takata AirBags and not being fully absolved

La.Z8 likes this.
  3. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Unless Congress passes a special law exempting automakers, all the usual responsibility for manufacturing and engineering defects would still apply. And of course there are always class action suits if enough customers are affected.

You'd be surprised some of the things the automakers get sued for ..

4. carhead22000

carhead22000 oldblue

you did,n already?

5. carhead22000

carhead22000 oldblue

i got caught when i was 18,had no guidance in my life, and was a slow learner.lol.i turned my life around and to this day would never take a drink and even move the car in the yard.i,ve seen sooo much destruction and hurt from drunk driving.being on the road,and coming from a place where drinking beer and partying is expected.its just not worth it.all my kids are like me now,none of them would ever do it.lead by example.its just wrong.

La.Z8 likes this.
  6. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

The idea is a noble one but.........
    "Nanny systems" and new ways for people to be lazier and take not responsibility for their own actions are celebrated now because integrity, pride and character come with an effort most are not willing to put forth. This is likely because there is no instant gratification attached to it. The answer to most of the issues is to do the right thing, but people are content, and pretty much encouraged, to be as soft as a fresh turd.
    Alcohol detectors in cars will likely do very little to stop drunk driving. A motivated drunk will find a way around it.
    Sorry to sound so negative, but we are a lazy and selfish society, especially when it is convenient. People's motivations are questionable at best.

tom3, La.Z8, gramps and 1 other person like this.
  7. biker

biker Veteran Member

Well done man. Not many can preach from a place of high moral ground on this topic, least of all me. I was just lucky enough to learn from others mistakes before it bit me.

gramps likes this.
  8. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes, will so many accidents attributed "alcohol involved", I can see the attraction of such devices. Although I have wondered if "alcohol involved" is the same as BAC above 0.1%, or 0.8%, or 0.4%, or whatever the limit is in the relevant jurisdiction. I do have some issues with saying someone should have to have 0.0 alcohol to drive. So no driving after drinking cough syrup?

And like a number of you, I distrust the accuracy of such devices. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Now that THC is legal in Michigan, I have tried some again, after not bothering with it since the early '80s. I still don't like it. For me, I just can't see the attraction. I like having all my wits about me, and THC just made my thoughts seem disjointed. Much different than alcohol. I didn't care for it at all.

But I've heard it helps people with chronic pain, and after living with my mom and her rheumatoid arthritis, and my wife with sjogren's syndrome and osteoarthritis, I can understand why they would use it.

9. biker

biker Veteran Member

At least here in Canadia, when law enforcement states "alcohol involved" in reference to a collision report, it can mean as little as a driver admitting to having had an alcoholic drink prior to the collision or as much as a charge of impaired driving or over .08 resulting from a breath test. And the whole spectrum in between.

wiseryder likes this.
  10. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

I don’t get the thc and pain relief....with my blown disk in my lower back and intense sciatic pain resulting of that and little to no professional medical relief I tempted fate and gave it a try. I’ll keep it brief, I felt it coming on right before bed and I had enough sense to lay a hand on my wife when I layed down and that was enough to keep me sort of in reality. I can’t explain the wild ride I took that night nor the paranoia and arguing with myself within my own head. Needed so bad a drink of water but was t sure I could find my way back to bed if I stepped out of it. Arguing with myself if I was dead or not but no I can’t be I’m touching my wife. poo I need to wake her up make sure I’m not dead. No I can’t be dead I’m touching her. Yes I’m dead I cant feel myself. But I can feel her on my hand I can’t be dead. But I can’t feel my arm, just feel her warmth on my hand.
    It was so f’d and weird. Was so dam thirsty but I didn’t dare get out of bed. Wasn’t sure I’d be able to find my way back once I let go of the wife’s arm that was the only thing keeping me grounded (sort of) in Reality.

5ish hours of that nonsense and that’s it for this guy. Tossed the rest of the “edible” and I won’t be trying that again. Also the pain never went away...it was distorted like I felt the pain but it wasn’t in either of my legs or back...was like I had a 3rd leg that I couldnt feel or move except for the pain that was still there. F that nonsense. Gimme a few beers and at least I know where the hell I am.