Alignment Help Please

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by fvdillon, Feb 24, 2019.

1. fvdillon

fvdillon Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

20171021_160023.jpg 20171021_160044.jpg 20171021_160213.jpg 20171021_160343.jpg 20171021_160400.jpg I've been at these problems for a long time, with no end in sight. Last year I even drove car around to probably 6-8 bodyshops, most of them wouldn't even look at it. I told them whatever it costs I just need to get fixed. If I take weatherstrip out of trunk, deck lid fits pretty good. One side of RS nose fits well (passenger side) Any suggestions? Jim

2. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

That nose piece is par for the course based on what I’ve seem here on nasty. Aftermarket is garbage.

3. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

How much of your sheet metal has been replaced?

4. fvdillon

Only the trunk lid was replaced. When I had it painted many yrs ago I didn't have an RS nose as the original one was ruined.

5. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can sand and fill that urethane nose to fit your car.You need a "turtle"block(walmart auto isle),and some two-part epoxy repair for urethane.Its very easy to do.Just use soap and water,no chemicals,not even denatured alcohol on it.Evercoat(rage)makes a great,affordable epoxy repair.3m has it too.Just set it where its as even as you can get it with the brackets,then start sanding and filling in.You use tape as a form,because the epoxy will run.
    On the trunk,metro weatherstripping is best.If your trunk doesnt fit well after that,then either the trunklid is bent,or the top of the quarter has something going on.More pics helps with better info.

6. fvdillon

I have Metro on it as someone told me same thing you said. What other pictures should I take to help? Thx Jim

7. krabben1

8. krabben1

I regret not taking pictures of how I went along with the nose.We had the fiberglass one going on,then changed our minds.It was a last second deal.I rushed thru the whole thing to get done,and never documented it.But it is easy enough.Im not a body man and mine looked just like yours.Just make sure you test fit your grill to make sure the opening for it is correct.Mine had gotten compressed and I had to open it.(BEND,lol)

9. krabben1

Both side of the trunk where it doesnt fit.

10. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums

If you take the weatherstrip out and things fit better then I would be looking at the weatherstrip and/or the channel it fits into. On a project car of mine, I had to bend the lips of the inner trunk/hatch opening to where once the weatherstrip was installed, things fit right. Maybe take the weatherstrip out, close the trunk and do some measuring to see where things might be tight or loose. Heck, maybe cut some weatherstrip off and place a few inches into the channel and then close the lid on a bill to see how much tension is on it to remove it.

Below in the left is a weatherstrip channel being up too high and the weatherstrip cannot compress enough or not being compliant enough creating too much pressure on the trunk/hatch lid to keep it from going down far enough.

[​IMG]

By pushing the channel down or by using a more compliant weatherstrip, things should fit better.

Jim