Alignment specs request

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by 5thgenfreak, Jul 12, 2016.

1. 5thgenfreak

5thgenfreak Member

Hi Guys and Gals. I have a 70 base model with the sbc 307 motor and a th350 trans. I'm having the tired/sagging front springs replaced with new Moog 5160's. Shop said I should get an alignment after but they don't have the proper equipment. Need help with what specs would be best for the car so when I find an alignment shop that will work with me I can give them to them.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

3. 5thgenfreak

5thgenfreak Member

Thanks Corky!

4. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Keep in mind the factory specs are for bias ply tires and the specs posted on LS1.com are not the best for today's radial tires even with stock suspension. As CorkyE mentioned, a good alignment shop will make the adjustment, but don't assume. There are still a lot of shops using the factory alignment specs and that will eat up tires. The main difference is to go slightly negative on the camber, not positive like factory specs, and don't use as much total toe: 0.38 degrees converts to about 3/16" and is a lot even with stock suspension.

Here are some good numbers to shoot for with factory suspension on a street Camaro:

Camber: -.25* to -.50*

Caster: As much positive caster as you can get. With factory suspension it is likely the best you will do is +1* to +2*

Total Toe-In: 1/32" to 1/16" but most alignment shops now go with degrees which is a calculation that considers tire diameter. Shoot for 1/32" to 1/16" positive total toe in which is about +0.08 to +0.14 degrees for a stock diameter tire (if you are splitting the toe per side, shoot for 1/2 that amount: +0.04 to +0.07 degrees per side)

Thrust Angle: As close to zero as you can get, but it's hard to get zero on an old Camaro. The rear axle is usually not perfectly straight down the road.

Most shops will also make small side-to-side variations to account for road crown making for better tracking.

5. 5thgenfreak

5thgenfreak Member

JThomas,

Thank you for the info. You guys area wealth of knowledge. Do you agree that after replacing front springs I should get an alignment?

6. CorkyE

Have you changed or replaced anything else? Unless the springs have changed the ride height, there should be no need to align. When you replaced springs, did you check condition of bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc?

7. 5thgenfreak

5thgenfreak Member

Last yr the ball joints and a-arm bushings were replaced. This go round only the old sagging stock springs were replaced. They had helpers on them. The new springs did end up lowering her just a little. Mechanic said 2 inches but I haven't seen it yet. Didn't think it would be that much given the old springs condition.

8. CorkyE

Still wouldn't hurt anything in taking it to an alignment shop and use the settings JThomas posted. Chris (A71SS4ME) did my last alignment and his guys had to bypass the computer on the machine because we were using custom settings.