Almost back on the road

Philip

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 30, 2006
Marana, AZ
Just have to install another hood and I am back in the drivers seat. People just are not buying my story that these are red neck louvers :D

fanfailure9.jpg

fanfailure1.jpg

This was the result of a universal fan design and a slight enlarging of the holes by me to fit the factory clutch fan.

Mike N

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 13, 2002
Spencerport, NY.
I had that happen to me on an old K5 Blazer. Makes one heck of a noise when they come apart like that at 70 mph.

Philip

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 30, 2006
Marana, AZ
When is it? Mary will be gone from the 14th of June until the 17th of July. That gives me plenty of time to get into trouble :)

Philip

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 30, 2006
Marana, AZ
It was a clutch fan and luckily the aluminum radiator and most tof the coolant hoses survived. A blade sliced through the small heater hose, destroyed the shroud and both power steering hoses.

The fan clutch and bolts were undamaged. The center hub came apart at the bolt holes and slipped out from under the bolts.
Here is a photo of the clutch taken right after it happened before the car was trailered home.

fanfailure2.jpg

Mike N

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 13, 2002
Spencerport, NY.
Twisted_Metal said:
Did it kill the radiator and cut hoses/belts too? :eek:

Aftermarket flex fans... I don't trust 'em.

Mine was a stock 7 blade non clutch fan that came apart. Luckily in my case the only things that got damaged were the upper fan shroud, the small hose that went to the radiator overflow tank and the stock flat hood, which I hated anyway. How the departing blade missed the crucial stuff I'll never know. What I do know is the noise and resulting vibration left me thinking I kicked a rod out of it.

I was 250 miles from home when it happened. Luckily I was able to unbolt the broken fan, mutter a few words in french, bolt the pulley back on and use my add on electric fan to get home. This was all in a 79 Blazer, 454 and 14" lift with 44" Ground Hawgs.