alternator question

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by jayfire, Jun 27, 2008.

1. jayfire

jayfire Veteran Member

anyone know how to correctly wire an internal regulated alternator from the old external regulator? I have tried different wiring diagrams and all seem to not work. My alternator gets real hot and drains my battery fast. Any help would be great.

2. rare71

rare71 Veteran Member

American Autowire and some other places sell a kit that bypasses the regulator. I have one but I'm still having charging issues. The alternator might be bad or I have some bad wiring somewhere.

3. jayfire

jayfire Veteran Member

I have tried diagrams from chevelles.com and hotrod.com on how to wire it up and it does charge but it still gets hot after a few hours and drains my battery. My alternator has the two wire plug and on the case says R on the left side and F on the right. Which one would the power go to? Then which one would the idiot light go to? I don't want to have to buy a one-wire if I can get this to work. My alternator is new!! Help

4. rare71

rare71 Veteran Member

I'd have to look at a diagram to see where the idiot light gets power from. The BAT terminal should get the power though. I don't know about the R and the F though. I don't think mine has that. Just the 2 wire plug labeled 1 and 2 and the BAT term.