Alternator wiring 1980 Camaro LS3 swap

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by 73Z L92, Jul 4, 2021.

1. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

I'm starting to layout the engine wiring harness for my LS3/4L60E swap. I'm using for the first time the Holley Terminator X Max for engine and trans control. On my previous swaps I used Howell and Speartech harnesses. Both had a wire/plug for the 2002 Camaro alternator. The Holley does not include the alternator wiring.
    So here's my question. I'm using the stock 1980 Camaro engine compartment wiring harness. On the 1980 alternator there is white flat plug with a red 12-14 gauge? wire and a smaller gauge black wire. Is the red wire switched in start and run or is it 12 volt hot all the time? How about the black wire?
    I need a 12 volt switched to the 2002 Camaro alternator.
    One more question. The 12 volt red wires that bolt to the stud on the alternator have a fuseable link. Would you replace the fuseable links with a pair of Maxi fuses? If so best guess on the sizing of the Maxi fuse?

2. Jack Deibel

Jack Deibel Jack

Any luck getting this sorted out? Been looking at the Holley terminator for my 76 swap….

3. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

I didn't end up using the Holley X system. Ended up with going with a Howell LS3 harness. I've used them on a number swaps with good results.