Am I too picky about this 79 Z28???

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by RePhil, Mar 13, 2021.

1. RePhil

RePhil Veteran Member

1979 Z28. Very nice paint job, being described as "flawless". Not original as far as it has a crate engine(blueprint 383), cowl hood, etc. Advertised at 26k, but after talking with him, had a lower cash price agreed upon. Had an appointment scheduled but I cancelled a few hrs before due to going to look at another car, that didn't turn out. Now wondering if I should pursue this car again.

Do you guys think this car is priced right in today's market? Take a close look at the pinch weld in the photos. Looks like they painted over pitted metal under the driver fender/door. Also got undercoating or bedliner spray on the pinch weld as well and painted over it. Only other negative things that are due to my preferences... I'd replace the springs and wheels to get the stance lower and wheels within the wells. Dash pad has a very slight crack, which I would replace, etc. I'd end up dumping other money into it, but that'll happen with any car I buy.

Bottom line... Is the car priced reasonable in today's market, or is it a little high?

2. RePhil

RePhil Veteran Member

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The body and interior look great!
    I don't think I would worry about the undercoating etc.

You could replace that dash bezel if you jumped on this deal.
    https://nastyz28.com/threads/fs-3-1...1-standard-2-dark-bronze.334694/#post-3834819

Black standard vinyl interior and no A/C. :(
    But... It has T-tops. :D
    It's also a manual trans... 4 Speed original transmission?

The rear looks like it sits a bit high to clear those tires. Air Shocks?

It's a really nice looking car but I think the seller is asking for more than he will ever get for it.
    $19-20K would be about the absolute upper limit for that car, IMO.

QUAKE_WARS, langss, Z-Life and 3 others like this.
  4. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

Great looking car, love the blue exterior. IMHO price is a little high in your USD but would be pretty close if was ~ $25000 CDN.

5. RePhil

RePhil Veteran Member

I actually prefer the standard interior and like the cleaner look under the hood of a non-ac car.
    Yes, it's the stock, original 4 speed. Stock rear, 373 I believe.
    I think the rear sitting high is due to incorrect leaf springs. They were replaced with "stock" replacements, but maybe they were the Nova type. I would end up replacing them. Front springs I would maybe cheat and just cut off a half coil.
    Thanks for your input on the price and other things. Good to see you're still here. Been quite a few years since being on the forum myself.

6. RePhil

RePhil Veteran Member

Thanks, that's a little over 20k in USD I believe. That's what I was thinking as well. Seller wouldn't go that low though.

7. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

It sounds a little high for the time being but then you Gotta keep in mind that eventually the prices will go up on those cars i used buy 79-81 Camaros in running driver condition for $2500 now I can’t even touch a basket case for 2500 hundred.
    Also consider what would it cost you if you bought one for about let’s say 10,000 to make it look like that blue one in time and money?
    The paint alone now a days runs 7500-10
    Keep in mind I’m in ca so prices tend to be higher

8. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

I'd think for that kind of $$$ it should be more of a restoration....I'm not a fan of the cheap chrome crap under the hood, cut dash bezel, wrong shifter knob, wheels are horrible...none of that is difficult to change but it's not free either

just seems like a lot of cash - car is above average shape

STUCKINCALI and sooner like this.
  9. RePhil

RePhil Veteran Member

It's proving extremely hard to find a 78-81 with an excellent body and paint for 20k. I don't care if it's original. In the end I'll be putting a big block in whatever I get anyways.

10. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

It’s nice , not 26k nice , I’d see it under 20

langss likes this.