Am I too picky about this 79 Z28???

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by RePhil, Mar 13, 2021.

1. sooner

sooner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It certainly is a nice car, but I was thinking the exact same thing. At that price point, I'd just want it correct.

351maverick likes this.
  2. Madcow63

Madcow63 Member

For a clean 4speed T top car that’s about what I’d expect in today’s market, though the wheels and the other aftermarket mods do hurt it some IMHO. Oh and for gods sake paint those brake drums.

STUCKINCALI likes this.
  3. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you are going to put a big block in it then it is not worth paying $26k for a car you are instantly going to drop another $5-10k on. Find another car.

That said, $26k is still high and it is all about whether this is a hobby for you or you want to just get in and drive and tweak stuff along the way.

If it is the latter, then as stated by others you found another car and wanted to get it to this level you would be into it for at least $15k just to get the interior and body work and paint to that level. So if you could find a decent rust free $10k car that needed a refresh you would be back at $26k very quickly. That said, let’s not forget that on this car you might need body mounts (if original the answer is yes), sub frame connectors (must with T-Tops), front and rear suspension parts, other “wear items”, wheels tires etc. And once you start changing those out you are going to go for upgrades. This gets to a $40k car very quickly.

If the former, and you are going to start changing stuff like suspension and engines etc., which it sounds like where you are, then find a nice $10k-20k car and do it exactly how you want it. I would rather have my own repaint done and know exactly the quality of the body and paint work and the status of any potential hidden rust or damage. Rust can be easily hidden and a freshly painted car does not mean there are not hidden issues or poor workmanship you can’t see. It will be off the road for 1-2years but you will have what you want and will get out for less than the total you will have in this one. There are a lot of nice $10k cars out there and a $20k car should be near perfect and those are out there too, you just need to be patient and look farther than just locally. Add $1200 to the cost to have one shipped to you.

Good Luck!!

STUCKINCALI likes this.
  4. T/A Tom

T/A Tom Member

I’m not as in tune with the Camaro prices as I am Firebirds, but 26k seems a little high to me. Not sure what you agree on for a price but my gut tells me right around 20k would be more like it? I personally don’t care for the cowl hood and the T tops, but that’s a matter of personal preference; to each his own.
    Having said all that, the car does look nicely done. Some of the lower areas like the rockers usually look like that unless someone spent a lot of time smoothing them out. The undercoating looks pretty normal from what I can see.
    If you like the car but you’re uncertain, it would be extremely helpful if you could find a good body man to look it over for you for a small fee.
    That approach saved me from wasting money on a Corvette that looked beautiful inside and out, but the birdcage was so rusty the doors wouldn’t stay adjusted.
    That’s a good looking Camaro overall, especially if you’re into the “day two” look.
    Good luck and us know what you decide!

5. T/A Tom

T/A Tom Member

6. FooFighter

FooFighter Member Gold Member

The car is definitely a throw back to the 80's and early 90's as far as the rear wheels sticking out of the quarters goes! My first 79 back in 1990 looked just like that, air shocks and all. I hit a really big pot hole once and slashed the rear tires on both sides. For 26K US dollars I would expect that car to be close to perfect. The dash and bezel are rough and need replacement as already mentioned. The over spray at the rocker panel and over the undercoating is not a bid deal, kinda typical. The rims and tires were a bad choice unless they were going for the 80's look. As long as that 383 blue print engine is not wore out, and if that paint job is on there correctly and is straight then I'd say 20K US dollars is about right. It's hard to read paint through pictures, unless its really bad then you can tell a bad paint job. Get in it for 20K or less and you should be alright. Gotta start somewhere.

T/A Tom likes this.
  7. Z-Life

Z-Life Nasty Member

Nice car looks like the left front frame rail has been dented? at the rear of the frame rail just past the body mount. Is that a photo issue or is there a depression there? The photo where your showing the new body mounts is the one. weird place for a dent if thats what it is.

Nice looking car I agree with @Lowend sitting al ittle high in the back end, Ive had 50's on the back and sitting lower. Definately a 18k to 20k car if all the motor, tranny and rearend checkout, nice car, not my ball of cheese though with the t-tops but a buddy of mine would be all over it.

8. 70RamAirIII

70RamAirIII Pontiac-aholic

I'm not going to touch on pricing opinion, but rather share my gut reaction to the undercoating ect;

It looks to me like this car was recently repainted, and nothing above the front face of the rockers was touched.

One of those pictures, the one of the forward end of the rear frame rail with the leaf mount - it showed inconsistent undercoating, and a tiny bit of rust on the washer under the bolt head - this to me confirms that no real attention was paid to the underside of the car.

I to know Firebirds better than Camaros, and suspect if it was a Special Edition '79 400/4spd, you couldn't hope to get one so nice for $26k-usd;
    I believe that the gap between Camaros and Firebirds will lessen, and an original 4 speed 3.73:1 car would be about as good as it gets.. and iirc it's the last year of a USA-destined 350/4/spd car.

This car is a prime example which supports my opinion that if you're going to build or even just paint a car to sell it, going stock is the best bang for the buck... but I hear all too often of people who insist on personalizing it the way they want it be fore selling it - which in the end causes them to have a harder time selling.

Now as to the intention/plans of this car, I was hoping you might entertain the following:
    Granted you said you wanted to put a big block in it, but if you got this car, and fixed the wheels and ride height... and maybe some of the underhood chrome, do you not think you could find yourself satisfied for time being with the drivetrain as-is?

I ask, because maybe you could do one of two things:
    1) drive it like that till you deem it needs a rebuild, after which do the engine swap. You could slowly collect the parts, and build your big block in the mean time.
    2) sell the crate motor, and have potential buyers take the car for a boot so that they can confirm that it runs right. You could use the money from the sale of the crate motor to more or less finance the bulk of the cost of a replacement big block.
    Either of these scenarios might lessen the "extra expense" for this (or any car that you end up buying).

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    STUCKINCALI and Z-Life like this.
  9. T/A Tom

T/A Tom Member

I admittedly didn’t look at every picture because there’s nothing like seeing the car in person. Also consider other factors such as the sellers attitude, whether or not they seem honest and knowledgeable about the cars history, and any documentation supporting claims of work that has been done. What is location like? Relatively neat and organized, or messy with junk scattered everywhere?
    If you’re not confident enough to assess the condition yourself it’s more than worth it to pay someone who does. And always listen to your gut.
    Beyond that you’ll get a lot of differing opinions from meaningful people trying to help. Looking forward to see what you decide!

10. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

My purchase attitude on almost everything is "what could I realistically get for it if I were selling it".Then I decide how much more it may be worth to me if anything for personal reasons.You only live once and I've overspent on things I "wanted" but with reason not just my heart [infatuation]. I had an old fella advise me once on a purchase that was a few bucks more "I'm sure you've spent XXX worse before" Just don't use that excuse for everything you see/want.The market usually determines the price-if it has been available for a long time it probably has spoken.Also the seller has probably decided what is worth to him and if he doesn't "need" to move it he'll probably hang on to it.I hope you both can come to a price point you can both be happy with! Later Steve!!

T/A Tom likes this.