Am I too picky about this 79 Z28???

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by RePhil, Mar 13, 2021.

1. PThomas

PThomas New Member

Car looks great to me. Owner knows the correct mods to enhance the appearance. Unless you like the look of a saggy rear of the car (compared to the wide stance of a Trans Am), you need 8.5" wheels on the back. That will require raising the back, but it changes the whole look of the car. The lack of A/C would be a dealbreaker for me because it is almost always hot in Alabama..

c120cut likes this.
  2. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

I got mine for 3500$ canadian in 2008 and invested close to 20 000$ to make it look like a driver. If you like it then buy it. It will in fact go up in value anyways. If you can add value then even better.

3. iraqivet

iraqivet Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't want to be condemning the paint job. The rockers below the door were painted black on the original paint at the factory. Shows it in the assembly manual. My z is black so I can't confirm if some production cars were not painted. Someone with a original Camaro can confirm or deny it.

Z-Life likes this.
  4. Allen B

Allen B New Member

Not sure if you are dead set on a Z28 but I am going to downsize my collection and have a 2 owner nice original paint Camaro with a 383, built 2004r (automatic 4 speed) that has about 80,000 on the car since new. I have the original flat hood to if you prefer it over a cowl hood. Never wrecked, very nice survivor.

5. RePhil

RePhil Veteran Member

iSorry all, I didn't get the usual email that notifies me of the responses.

I know the seller won't go for 20k. I know exactly what he paid for the car, because I have chatted back and fourth with the previous owner. I actually was interested when the previous owner was selling, but I had my doubts with the price then. I could get it for a few k less, but not 20k.

The paint job is newer, but not brand new(dates back 3 owners now). It looks to have been really cared for.

The cowl hood was a plus in my book, since I have plans of a big block. Wheels and stance definitely aren't my taste. I like old school, but like the tires to be in the wheel wells. Yes, I'd have to tie the frames together, use solid mounts, go through suspension, spruce up interior, clean up under the hood, etc.

I'm really trying to avoid having to deal with a body/paint shop. Too many "paint jail" horror stories, and no guarantee of the end result. I actually had it done once, and said never again. I would gladly pay 20k for a "show" quality roller, and then do my own suspension, drivetrain, etc. Anyone that gets a car that nice to that point, usually will finish it though. I definitely am a picky sob when it comes to the paint job.

The Blueprint engine probably doesn't even have 1000 miles. The previous owner put it in and sold the car not long after. I have some pics from him when he did the engine swap. I'd probably see if I could squeeze 3k out of selling it. I think it goes for about $5500 fully dressed new.

I most likely will end up passing on this car. I do have a couple other possibilities, but they too are priced high.

I'll get one soon. HAven't had a 2nd gen for a few years, and am going through withdraw!

6. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

I didn't realize the market is getting this high on our cars. The car looks mostly mint. I'm still scratching my head about the undercoating and painting over the undercoating on the rockers. It makes me wonder about the rest of the car. I know some dealers undercoated cars but this undercoat looks to be applied more recently. I would definitely look everything over very closely for that price.

7. Glava

Glava Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wow, just saw this post and am excited that there is even 20k + talk for this 79.
    Based on that, I should be able to get more than the $5,900.00 I paid for mine in September 79. I think that you are wise to pass on this one, it looks great, but what the condition is under the undercoating would make me nervous.
    Mine has 32k miles in the northeast with no undercoating or winter driving - the details, like the paint and black on the rockers etc. is the way that they look originally.

Z28Exhaust2016.JPG Z28 Goodyear Polysteel.jpg z28 interior 2.jpg z28 interior.jpg Z28 DS distant 5152020.jpg Z28 Floorboards2.jpg IMG_0464.JPG

80sz, FooFighter and RePhil like this.
  8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

$26k should be a restored, needs nothing for the year.

Z-Life likes this.
  9. Sunny Z/28

Sunny Z/28 Member Gold Member

It's not anymore though, numbers are going up for these cars. I watch Facebook groups and alot of the auction sites specific to 78-81, asking prices are way up over 12-18 months ago.

That being said, if you like the car buy it! Sounds like you have some money to work with, so if there is something to deal with under that coating do that before the BB swap. It looks like a fun driver that you can do a little at a time with and enjoy the hell out of while you are doing it. That's what I'm doing with mine until they start selling for 40 :bowtie:

10. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Asking price is one thing....actually selling is another. Check out the sold cars on Ebay, very few over $10K. There are a lot of dreamers on FB. You can still get a lot car for $12-15K

80sz likes this.