Am I too picky about this 79 Z28???

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by RePhil, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Sunny Z/28

Sunny Z/28 Member Gold Member

Not sure if the t-tops are a dealbreaker for you, but this has been out there for a while and it's got the ZZ4 swap done already.....

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/chevrolet/camaro/2445345.html

2. Sunny Z/28

Sunny Z/28 Member Gold Member

100% agree, but those asking prices are climbing....

STUCKINCALI likes this.
  3. STUCKINCALI

STUCKINCALI New Member

Lipstick on a pig... still a pig... just a pretty one. While the car and some of the parts are IMHO not too terrible, the asking price is ridiculous for this specimen. Drive train is not original so, there goes original value out the window. Even with the BP stroker, it's still molested from original and if you're looking for a vehicle with true value, then look elsewhere. If you just want a good starting platform for a build and are okay with redoing all the garbage this person(s) did to it to try and make it look presentable to sell for more $$$, then go for it. I personally wouldn't spend more than $16k on this one... Maybe $16.5 if there's zero rust, no bent frame parts, interior isn't roached under the carpet. ***I would ask the owner if they're serious about selling it to you, if you could pull the sill plates and look under the carpet and pull the back seat lower. I would bet there's some issues under there... Especially around the heel of the driver's pan at the go pedal.

Just my $0.02 but Caveat Emptor...

"A fool and their money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser..

Submitted respectfully,

~Andy

4. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

I guess that depends on what you mean by “a lot of car”. Just a few weeks ago a member on here got $12,500 for a high mileage ‘75. That’s more than double what I thought it would sell for. Even the very “ordinary” 2nd gens are really getting up there.

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

$12.5 is a far cry from $26K and the the 75 LT was original, this 79 isn’t and a year with nearly a 1/4 million cars made. The 75 is a little more rare. Just my thoughts....78-81s are a dime a dozen.

6. 70RamAirIII

70RamAirIII Pontiac-aholic

Wow!
    What a gorgeous looking car!!

7. RePhil

RePhil Veteran Member

Nice looking car. 2:56 rear? Should be 373 for a 79 z with 4 speed. They sure we're careful to not show anything under the car or subframe/suspension. Texas is too far for me to see in person though.

8. FooFighter

FooFighter Member Gold Member

I just saw a super Clean all original 78 Z28 go for like $15,000 grand on Ebay. It was a low mileage car too. I wanna say around 30,000 miles or less. Survivor, no rust, great interior. I would have jumped on it if I didn't already have my hands full. The prices are going up, but not that much, and you can still find late model 2nd gens in GREAT shape for under 20K. The ones priced over 20K are from those dealers that are asking waaaaaaay too much for a car with 80K miles on them, semi worn out interior that they covered with gloss slime inside and out that will wear off in 5 days having you scratch your head wondering why the paint and interior are suddenly faded and the car now looks like complete sh1t! Again for 26K, that car better be perfect, with working AC, Rims and tires that don't look terrible, and no paint over the undercoating making you wonder if they just slopped some paint over rust and bird poop so they could make a quick buck. The dash would be perfect, bezel looks good, nothing would need replaced for 26k, drive train would be great too. Anything above that would be a Resto Mod with high end parts or a car with less that 5K miles on it.

9. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

There's been a market for the 78-81's for a while so IMHO those prices have been up but I've not known a '75 anything to be "in demand" (well maybe a trans am) but it will be interesting to see if that is now changing. It appears it may very well be.

10. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Yup holy crap, I put my car on fb and you can’t post a too high price.People don’t even read the add, all these shoot me a video and endless txt. Ya half hour later I took it off fb. Now I know ... phone calls only! Bunch of dreamers