Amps?

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by blake22, Apr 1, 2010.

1. blake22

blake22 Veteran Member

well im planning on putting 2 6x9 pioneers on the back, something in the dash and a 15" subwoofer in the trunk.

the sub came out of an old guitar amp. not sure of the the size or anything because it had no labels or anything. right now just that sub is set up in our shop with a 25 watt amp on the cheapo 6 disk walmart cd/radio. but when i turn it up more than about half way the bass gets reall distorted. when i put it in my car its going to need a bigger amp right? and will that bigger amp fix my sound quality problem or is it just the old crappy speaker?

2. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Short answer: NO!

You need a crossover to control and regulate the frequency which the speaker can handle and eliminate the distortion.

A bigger amp will have the energy to provide the power to drive the speaker at louder sound levels.

3. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If this is from a guitar half stack.....are you sure it's not just a woofer ??

....and I'm pretty sure it's not going to work in a 12V application either.
    But I agree with Kamikaze if you keep it on the 110V setup, you'll need a crossover AND the correct power driving it.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  4. Black78

Black78 Member

first of all, 110 vs 12v has no bearing on the woofer itself. but an underdriven woofer can be and most often is worse than overdriven. Speakers have a RMS and sensitivity rating. The RMS is what it can handle continuously and the higher the sensitivity the less power it needs to be driven. I like to find and amp that is at least the RMS to make sure it can perform its best. Amp RMS ratings go by the general rule of thumb that the higher the RMS the louder and cleaner the audio will be. just because you have a 500W amp doesnt mean you need the gains cranked to push all 500W. If the speaker receives low signal strength the voice coil(s) will not be able to move as fast as they have to causing distortion. Also, as noted above, without a crossover the cove will be trying to handle too many frequencies. For a sub application the cone needs to move much slower for the low freqs and it will be battling the demands for the high freq movement. Your best solution is to either purchase a 12v amp with substantial power. IMO that speaker should have a 4ohm signal to it to help reduce distortion as well. For a better speaker solution for good money try here . They have great speakers for very cheap. You will get better performance sub wise out of 2 8's or even one 10 nowadays. The small the cone, the tighter the bass. Cone area = air volume being moved for the low low freqs. so unless your going to a SPL competition i would stay away from 15's like the plague.

5. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Depends on the music genre really.....but I agree.

15"s are really only good for hip hop or rap where your trunk lid is rattling itself out of it's bolts. (annoying as hell)
    I think they suck personally but I like Metal and Rock mostly so 8's and 10's I'd agree with.

Good full explanation on everything else though.

6. 77RS

77RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

... all that was said above plus..
    A speaker from a guitar cabinet probably won't produce the lows that you want. Being a 15" speaker doesn't make it a sub; it's probably just a large woofer. The frequency respose of guitar speakers just doesn't go as low as a sub. I've seen some high end bass cab speakers go down as low as 8 Hz. Of course, the human ear can't hear that low of a frequency, but we can feel it ;)

7. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I was always under the impression that a quality sub could produce sub-sonic bass from any genre. What would make a sub better for one genre and not another?

To the original poster, you'd be better off buying a sub-woofer and not using a guitar amp woofer. The sound quality will be much better with a true sub-woofer. And yes, you will need an amp to drive that sub-woofer properly, not something that is 25 watts RMS.

8. blake22

blake22 Veteran Member

yeah i realized that its not a sub after i posted it and i havent had a chance to get back on and reply. but i listen to country, rock, and a little rap when im in the mood. im just going to keep the 15" in my shop and go down to the pawn shop and just buy a whole set up.

but if i do decide to buy something new, ive read some bad things about pyle products. are they really that bad?

and is a woofer and a subwoofer diffrent?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  9. 77RS

77RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes. "Sub", as in below, or lower. A subwoofer is designed to carry lower frequencies than a woofer. Even if you use a crossover, sending the lower frequencies to a woofer won't work very well. It won't respond to all the low frequencies like a sub. Eventually the voice coil will go out (over-extend) in the woofer if you consistently send low frequencies to it. The voice coil on a woofer isn't designed to travel as far as a sub.

A sub will sound a little muddy if used alone, but can add great sound to a complete system. It is designed to carry only low frequencies.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  10. blake22

blake22 Veteran Member

okay that explains it..
    so if i had my 6x9s something in the dash and the 2 10s in the trunk. with say a 2x400watt amp. would i need to get a 4 way amp and put it on the 6x9s also?