And everyone told me BBC's Were Boat Anchors!!

rtj

Aug 10, 2008
Orlando fl
Turbo T/A said:
ROFL thanks for googling HOW A TURBOCHARGER WORKS.....

Let me put that into english for you.........

The things that will happen on a given turbo just by changing engine cubic inch are:

Lag will increase/decrease
Airflow rates will be higher/lower @ given boost levels
Efficiency will be reached sooner/later

The amount of air a turbo can flow WILL NOT BE CHANGED.....THIS IS WHY A TURBOCHARGER IS RATED AT LBS/MIN

Next time before you call someone on something & dont give an explanation, reseach your topic well.

BTW, take that 502 & stick it where it belongs, in the nearest boat.

-Carm

Let's see some photos of that twin turbo set-up you're running.

The 502 is being used because I had an extra one sitting around with low miles on it. When it is procharged, It will be okay. Nothing like the 632 that was in the car before, but good enough to get the car running.

Your original statement was wrong.

"No excuses.....BBC or SBC it dont matter whats behind the turbo.....it will still make the same amount of power."

If you read the abstract I posted above again, you'd see that mass airflow is a function of the engine and the turbo. It's a variable. And, why would you think that anyone would want to run the same turbo on two different displacement motors. The only reason I can think of is you can't afford to buy new ones.

Regardless of whether I googled or not. What good would have posting a lot of equations and compressor maps would have done, you would not have understood them.

I'm done.

Last edited:

ZS10

Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 18, 2003
BC, Canada
I think Carm's point is a given turbo will only flow 'x' amount, regardless of the engine displacement. Thereby creating 'y' amount of power, regardless of the engine displacement. Providing both engines can max the turbo out.

If I take the turbo off my sprint and stick it on a 355 sb, it will make 250 hp (for arguments sake). If I stick it on my 427, it'll still make close to the same power. The turbo becomes a limiting factor.

You are right RTJ in that no one would run the same turbo on 2 different engines, and that makes the argument a non-issue.

Nate81camaro

Veteran Member
Jun 3, 2006
lost
Good Lord, are we still arguing about what exactly Carm meant? I'm not that "up to date" on TT engines (still learning), but I understood what he meant perfectly. He wasn't saying that a SBC with 2 small turbos would beat a BBC with 2 big turbos. Engine size has nothing to do with what he was trying to explain. It's actually simple; any given turbo will only flow so much air. Bigger turbos are capable of flowing more air than smaller turbos (obviously).

BBC vs. SBC? I don't really have a preference, as long as it's a bowtie. I agree that a SBC beating a BBC is impressive, because the SBC is always going to be the underdog (NA vs NA). BBCs are capable of more hp and grunt, but that comes at a price and is the reason why I have a VERY mild SBC under my hood. While I sleep at night, I dream of driving my car with a budget 600hp RAT motor...

I wouldn't be arguing with the man who's running "8.60 @ 155 off the throttle!", he obviously has an idea what he's talking about...

rtj said:
Let's see some photos of that twin turbo set-up you're running.
Do a search and you'll find what you wish to see. He's posted up plenty of pics and videos.

nitrobully

Oct 6, 2008
Kansas City
Turbo T/A said:
Thats exactly what im telling you....doesnt matter whats behind the turbo, it can only flow so much air

-Carm

True, but everyone gets caught up in peak power #'s just like peak head flow and peak turbo/blower airflow. Does anyone pay attention to average power under the curve???

Belts are for holding up pants!?!? That's pretty good actually, I thought turbos were only for diesels! :D

I'm running a stroked BBC for the strength, cylinder heads and a lot of piston speed at overall lower engine speeds, the centrifugal is being used for ease of install(don't like stainless tubing all over the place),the centri's are what I know and can tune for. Plus, those turbos are just too quiet! Which my neighbors would probably prefer!!!

Maliboost

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 18, 2001
Slower.

If you want to go faster & want to go turbo, you will need different turbo's from what carm is running.

Bob

mrdragster1970 said:

I still want to know if I'm going to go quicker or slower??
Check book is sitting right here!!

rscamaro73

Administrator
Staff member
See....damn sbc guys causing problems with thier turbo issues....:crazy:

If they were running a BBC, they wouldn't NEED to keep upgrading to aftermarket blocks of 'small' bbc stature.

Again, its the 'small' boat trying to go faster with a 'bigger sail'....you still got a small boat. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

70Camaro406

Veteran Member
May 4, 2006
Cadillac, MI
rscamaro73 said:
See....damn sbc guys causing problems with thier turbo issues....:crazy:

If they were running a BBC, they wouldn't NEED to keep upgrading to aftermarket blocks of 'small' bbc stature.

Again, its the 'small' boat trying to go faster with a 'bigger sail'....you still got a small boat. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Easy Wayne...no turbo here. Let's not generalize too much.

BTW, ya wanna run that big block against my measly small block?? LOL, j/k.

Latest posts