And so... Winter begins.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Not much snow in Oklahoma? Maybe because there is not a lot of water. Here in Michigan we get a lot of what they call "lake effect" snow, from the Great lakes. And of course Minnesota is the Land of 10,000 lakes.
Our lakes freeze over so they don't produce "lake effect" snow.
Since the prevailing weather patterns move in from the West and North... Only some areas near Lake Superior get that stuff in Minn.

mrfleet12

Veteran Member
Aug 8, 2014
West of Chicago IL
Northern IL we really only got an inch or two, wind is blowing it around. We were supposed to get a few inches and I was planning on playing in the snow with my new to me skidloader. I'm ok if this is all we get for the winter, I'm ready for Camaro weather.
PXL_20220716_002440911.jpg

CamaroDoc

Veteran Member
Sep 13, 2003
Skiatook, Okla. 74070
Northeast Oklahoma has plenty of lakes but we are usually warm enough that we don't get huge amounts of snow. However, we get lots of freezing rain, sleet, and ice....

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
Watching a football bowl game in Texas tonight, people in the stands wearing parkas, can see their breath, looks cold. In Texas no less. Weather people are going all out here in So. Ohio, probably get an inch of snow and a bit of wind, time for some winter anyway.

geoman

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 4, 2001
Brandon, FL
I know I have no room to talk but it's 64 right now but by tomorrow night it's supposed to be 27 in Central FL. We are expecting wind chills in the teens. We just get hurricanes instead. 😅

La.Z8

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 6, 2003
N.W. Louisiana
I enjoy reading these threads. Just reinforces how glad I am that I don`t live north. We get plenty of rain, tornados, thunderstorms here. Of course we`ve got Bayous, snakes, gators, snapping turtles, the usual suspects. Thank goodness we don`t get those large amounts of snow.......I hate cold, wet, wind, etc.

gramps

Veteran Member
Jul 5, 2009
mankato, mn
Not much snow in Oklahoma? Maybe because there is not a lot of water. Here in Michigan we get a lot of what they call "lake effect" snow, from the Great lakes. And of course Minnesota is the Land of 10,000 lakes.

I laugh when they say we are getting a “lake effect” snow here in Mn. People raiding the Walmart like it won’t be open for 2 months.
I grew up outside Buffalo NY, when they say lake effect storm coming nobody panics, you know 2 or more feet of snow is coming. Heck just in November my great uncle had 7’ of snow from a particularly knarly storm.

Here we get 6-9” and people panic like it’s the end of the world. Even today - yeah it’s windy, yeah it’s dang cold. This is closed that’s closed. Day care is closed. Half the fast food chains are closed. Only reason I drove my truck instead of the car is that it is doggone cold and I like the heated seats (spoiled I know).

TIP-T0P

Veteran Member
Nov 4, 2022
Contra Costa County
Born and raised in Northern California I look at these weather conditions across the country and can't imagine dealing with those minus degree temps! But then mother nature gives our far Northern California a 6.4 just to remind us on the west coast, "Ohhh yeah I haven't forgotten you guys!" Yes, hope everyone gets through this safe!

muscl car

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
Gallatin Tennessee
Wow what a change in weather here in Middle Tennessee , just less than 12 hours ago it was 49 deg . Now it's 0 deg / feels like temp of -17 deg and snow on the ground