And so... Winter begins.

80sz

sup
Feb 2, 2014
Buffalo,n.y.
Yayy right , guess we’re gonna have 4’ of snow by Monday. Most of it Lake effect. I can’t wait to see theses drifts with the 70mph winds predicted. This should be good

80WA7113

Veteran Member
May 22, 2002
Indianapolis, IN
I laugh when they say we are getting a “lake effect” snow here in Mn. People raiding the Walmart like it won’t be open for 2 months.
I grew up outside Buffalo NY, when they say lake effect storm coming nobody panics, you know 2 or more feet of snow is coming. Heck just in November my great uncle had 7’ of snow from a particularly knarly storm.

Here we get 6-9” and people panic like it’s the end of the world. Even today - yeah it’s windy, yeah it’s dang cold. This is closed that’s closed. Day care is closed. Half the fast food chains are closed. Only reason I drove my truck instead of the car is that it is doggone cold and I like the heated seats (spoiled I know).
I can relate. When we lived in Valparaiso, IN anytime the wind came off the lake we'd get a foot of snow. People visiting from out of the area would ask how we could stand all that snow, and so we'd look around, point, and tell them: "What, all this? This isn't snow, it's lake effect"! They just couldn't understand.

ssupercoolss

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2015
PA
I laugh when they say we are getting a “lake effect” snow here in Mn. People raiding the Walmart like it won’t be open for 2 months.
I grew up outside Buffalo NY, when they say lake effect storm coming nobody panics, you know 2 or more feet of snow is coming. Heck just in November my great uncle had 7’ of snow from a particularly knarly storm.

Here we get 6-9” and people panic like it’s the end of the world. Even today - yeah it’s windy, yeah it’s dang cold. This is closed that’s closed. Day care is closed. Half the fast food chains are closed. Only reason I drove my truck instead of the car is that it is doggone cold and I like the heated seats (spoiled I know).
it takes 2-3" for end of the world panic in PA. in the higher elevations, where it snows more (at least in NEPA) they are worse. you would think they would be used to it. they suck at driving in the snow too. Wanna go out and get a pizza when its snowing? nope, better go with plan b, cause they all close up too like its the apocalypse. The funny part is everybody is on the local FB page asking how the roads are to Walmart (20 miles away) cause they "have to go to walmart"

last sunday we got a little snow, and i left my place at 7 am to go skiing. no problems on the roads even the sketchy windy road that goes down the mountain. later i on read comments that the road was "a sheet of ice" at the time i was heading down. FB drama i guess.

80sz

sup
Feb 2, 2014
Buffalo,n.y.
E53A9736-A07A-4696-817B-699F9361F882.jpeg

Latest posts