Another 71Z w/15K miles survivor

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by pauls70z, Mar 1, 2006.

1. pauls70z

pauls70z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

2. 71RS350

71RS350 Moderator Staff Member Gold Member

beautiful!

3. Buck Heard

Buck Heard Veteran Member

I've got a question and it by no way means I'm knocking this car because I think it's very nice. What justifies a car to be a survivor? Are there different degrees of being a survivor car? The only reason I ask is that a couple of years ago I bought a 72 RS that is all numbers matching and has a ton of maintenance receipts, the original window sticker, protecto plate, etc... Any way. The only things not original to the car are the tires and the paint. The car was originally metallic brown and was repainted to a champagne color about twenty years ago. Would my car be considered a survivor?

[​IMG]

4. Ricks72Z28

Ricks72Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yea a 15K survivor with a "Caution Fan" shroud, and look hard at the trunk,looks like they didn't even move the jack assembly.

5. jacsey 70Z

jacsey 70Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sure it's a super nice car, But it's only original once. After the fender, the paint the trunk the blackout underneath taking out all the glass. Not sure I would put it in the Survivor catagory. I could live with the little stuff like shift knob and smog if he had the original stuff, but I think there is more then meets the eye. Also isn't the other low miles 71 have the same story, changed M22 with automatic then didn't have the manual cross member. quite a coincidence. Guess there could be different meanings to survivor, but I prefer the untouched ones best.
    Jack

6. AutumnGold70

AutumnGold70 Veteran Member

This is an age old debate... I think a survivor is a car that has its original metal and paint, engine, trans, rear, interior, glass... hood etc, I do not think a car needs paper work to be a survivor. Many original owners threw the P-o-P out after the dealer waren. expired.

I also use the term loosely with restored cars, as frame off that resembles the original factory production techniques. Over-restored cars suck IMHO... A tasteful restoration with original parts is something I love to see.

This Camaro had an old repaint and was just sprayed for a quick resale... been talked about on yenko.net and was found by a member's friend. This is one cool Camaro! I would love to own a car like this. The only major issue is the original owner changed the tranny to a M40 for racing and lost the manual tranny cross member in the shuffle.

Great Camaro...!

7. vfitom2aol.com

vfitom2aol.com Veteran Member

A survivor is an untouched original, with original EVERYTHING as it left the dealer's showroom. Replaced items disqualify it. Camaros.net had some interesting survivor topics with different viewpoints. The key word here is "survivor." I think there are very few out there..........Buck, your car is not a survivor because of the repaint at least. The blue 71Z car in the link above and on EBay is NOT a survivor, and was on Ebay before, not too long ago.....Here are some survivor comments from Camaro.net..... Re: Survivor of Not?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I have to agree with Click ,, one that hasent been touched all the factory parts,, right belts and hoses,,mounts everything ,, and there are some still parked away in barns,,basements ,, warehouses, or just sitting beside a house, just not as many as there are advertised out there for sure." AND..............

"IMO survivor is a car that was put away in a garage or storage, back in the late 60's or early 70's, or driven sparingly over the years but it had NO changes, alterations or modifications done to it. No new paint, no bondo, no engine chrome etc.. I think of a 'survivor' as a time capsule car, suspended in time until now.. you bring it out of storage and it survived time.
    just my 2cents worth."

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  8. 70-SS/RS-L78

70-SS/RS-L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Is that the Z from Jonestown Pa that was sold last year?

9. Buck Heard

Buck Heard Veteran Member

Well I have to say I'm a little bummed but I was suspecting that would be the answer I would get.

10. FZ-28's

FZ-28's Veteran Member

2 repaints, repainted trunk, replaced fender, wrong transmission crossmember, exhaust appears replaced, changed steering wheel, smog removed, bumpers rechromed, do I need to go on?

Nice car, aint no survivor.