Anthony's 80 Z28 project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by ANT80Z28, Jun 2, 2009.

1. ANT80Z28

ANT80Z28 Member

Some real progress...

Finally got some real work done on the car

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went with the CPP tubular control arms and C5 brake kit, hopefully I don't regret my decision. I don't plan on doing any autocross or anything, it's just a weekend cruiser that I wanted to make some improvements on. And I'll admit, part of the reason I got them is because they look cool ;) The rear disks are from Right Stuff Detailing. Everything fit nicely and went together well.

After being wrapped in plastic in the corner of the garage for way too long, I put the block up on the stand so I can start assembling the engine. There's a little surface rust on one of the cylinder walls, I'm gonna try to clean it up with some Scotch Brite and WD-40. Keeping my fingers crossed that works, I don't want to bring it back to the machine shop. I tried to take pics, but the phone died.

2. ANT80Z28

ANT80Z28 Member

Got the lower end of the engine built. Luckily, the rust in that one cylinder was minor, and it came right out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waiting on some head gaskets and a head bolt kit to finish the build. I was reading the install instructions for the Edelbrock Performer heads I have, and they say the heads are designed for use with flat top pistons...The pistons I used aren't radical or anything, just a slight dome to make 10:1. I don't think it will be a problem, but I'm a little concerned....Anyone have any experience here that can put my mind at ease??

3. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Nice set up.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  4. ANT80Z28

ANT80Z28 Member

It's been a while since I posted, but I have been making progress!

I finished up the suspension and got some 17" wheels and tires installed so I could get it rolling again

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Finished assembling the engine, and hit it with some paint. Then attached the transmission and dropper her in...FINALLY!

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Slave cylinder for the hydraulic clutch aligned and installed

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Pay no attention to the intake manifold - it's temporary!

During the years of inactivity, I made some changes to my original plan. I bought a TPI set up off of a '91 Trans Am, and was planning on installing it. I always loved the look of those intake runners. Then a buddy of mine bought a nice 3rd gen Formula with TPI, and I took it for a spin and started second guessing my decision. It's a lot of fun off the line, but the drop off in power at 4000 - 4500 RPM is drastic and I didn't like it. By that point I had already purchased the Painless TPI harness and numerous other parts for the conversion, so I did some research and decided to go with the TPIS Miniram manifold. (What the hell, it's only money, right?) This way I could use the harness, sensors, and electronics that I already had, I just have to have them burn a chip for me. It's on order, it should be here today. So far their customer service has been excellent, and everyone I've spoke with there has been extremely helpful.

5. ANT80Z28

ANT80Z28 Member

As I get closer to starting this for the first time, does anyone have any recommendations on any particular brand of break in oil? Honestly, I'm a little nervous about the first start up period. I've read up on the cam break in procedure, anyone have any other advice??

6. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

I've had good luck just using the tried and true 30W non-detergent for engine break in. Then after 20-25 minutes or so shut it down, let cool then fill with good Dino oil (Valvoline 10w-30) and a good filter. After the first 2500-3000 miles you should be good to switch to a full synthetic-I'd suggest Amsoil or Mobil 1.....same weight.

7. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My engine builder suggested I add ZDDP to the engine oil during break in. He suggested I keep using it if I wanted as well. I add it with every oil change.

8. ctchap70

ctchap70 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Very nice! Some fine work going on!

9. ANT80Z28

ANT80Z28 Member

Thanks guys. Here's my other dilemma. I was planning on buying ceramic coated headers, and installing exhaust before the initial start up, but now I've been reading that the cam break in could ruin the finish on the headers. I no longer have the original manifolds, plus I need to install an oxygen sensor in the header for the fuel injection. I was thinking of buying non-coated headers for the break in, and then removing them and having them coated. I don't really want to do that, but I'm not sure I have many other options. I'm still about a month or two from firing this thing up, so I'm open to suggestions?

10. ctchap70

ctchap70 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'd try to find some cheap used ones to break engine in if I was gonna go that route. Then install new ceramic coated ones.