any coin collectors?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Jimmac, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

I'm just the sort of collector, used to keep all the silver I got in my change since the mid 70s, would order or happen across several dollars, halves etc.
    I did order both types of 2021 silver eagles and was checking out the usmint web site and noticed they are coming out with the 100 year anniversary of the 1921 Morgan dollar. sure the sver dollar will cost you 85 paper dollars but pretty cool. jim

Da-bigguy likes this.
  2. 1970 gold

1970 gold Veteran Member

I am. I ordered one of the first 2021 coins and it got lost in the mail and mint had to refund me they could not replace.

3. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

I got my type 1 coin from ampex. price might be higher, but I only bought 1.

4. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

I'm an avid metal detector so I end up with a lot of coins

any time I go out for a hunt & do NOT dig a silver coin I stop at the local gold/silver jeweler & buy a few cull silver coins...they're not much more than melt price

5. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I started collecting coins when as a kid, I found a 1943 penny in pocket change one day and thought that was the coolest thing! Now most of the coins I get are the collector's coins put out by the Royal Canadian Mint. They do some phenomenal coins and have introduced some interesting technologies, such as being the first mint to put a hologram on the coin. In 2007, the mint produced a $1,000,000 face value Maple Leaf gold coin to introduce the new 1 oz Maple Leaf coins with 99.999%, the highest level of purity so far achieved in gold refining.

351maverick likes this.
  6. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I have some coins from some European country that are from the late 1600 and 1700's, not sure if they are worth anything though.

7. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Since the 80's, my Mom has given me and my sister coins for Christmas. A proof set, silver dollar and a 1/10 ounce gold coin. For a few years, she gave us the 1/10 ounce platinum as well as special silver coin mintage of that year like the state quarters and stuff.
    I will pass them down to my son unless I wind up needing cash for some unholy emergency.

Da-bigguy likes this.
  8. Da-bigguy

I just discovered that Australia minted a gold coin that weighs one ton, over 2,200 lbs of gold!!! When gold was trading at prices of $2,000 an ounce, that works out to a value of ~$70.4 million US dollars!! That's crazy!!

9. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

That IS crazy!
    Since you cannot really strike something that big, I wonder if it was done in a sand mold or something?

10. Da-bigguy

They machined a two part mold and poured it, with months of finishing afterwards!! Here's a video that shows it being done.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    carr911 and dcozzi like this.