Any glass/body gurus-replacement w/s question-my tahoe

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 72'z'steve, May 1, 2019.

1. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Well,we had snow sunday,when melted saw my Tahoe windshield cracked from small chip below wiper[didn't even see it] to the top.Now the question.Does GM make w/s for the truck or who has best?I had the w/s replaced in my minivan last year by safelite-tint is awful-gets hot inside,refraction is off on sides if it weren't a 4k car I'd have the neighbor kid hit it with his slingshot.It was a run around trying to deal with it-not equivilent to OEM I don't want a turd like it in my Tahoe,I'd rather have a good used oem in its place ebay16 004.JPG .I have full coverage,just wondering if body or glass guys have input tips before I run around.2004 z-71 Tahoe-not a beater see attached pic-Thanks Steve!!

2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had a coworker that did glass for 20+ years and he told me safelite uses the cheapest glass possible. When I worked for Ford we used a local glass company and they provided the glass even for warranty work. At my current job we have three independently owned vendors and I've never had an issue with glass but the contract specifies OE quality. Sort answer, stay way from Safelite.

3. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

^ agreed. Insurance wanted me to use safelite but I insisted on the local glass co. I’d seen the “cheap” job they do for some others and wanted no part of it.

They fantastic and I even got the tinted band across the top.

4. DBS

DBS Veteran Member

You can take it to the dealer but they are going to have a glass company install it. There are only 3-4 companys making aftermarket windshields and ones probably not any better than the other.

5. 72'z'steve

Gonna pop around today check a couple local glass shops,ask some questions-I had a used w/s put in my blazer years ago-and it was great,but I assume the supply of good glass for a body style 13 years old at best is futile.My agent set up the safelite thing and I assume they have a deal with all the insurance co's cheapest price/etc.Right now I'm under the radar-Thanks for the help so far-Steve!!

6. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

There are so many of those trucks running around I think you will be good.

7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I'd take it to a local glass shop. I have a Ford Ranger. The original Ford windshield got broken by a rock. I had a local glass shop replace it with a Chinese replacement. The Chinese one was clearer with less distortion than the original Ford one. Eventually the Chinese one got broken by a rock too and I had it replaced again with another Chinese one. Again, this one is nicer than the original.
    Unless GM OEM glass is better than Ford OEM glass, just get a cheap Chinese one put in.

8. 72'z'steve

I hit the dealer,and a couple local glass shops,dealer was impressed with the truck,but as Dave said they farm out their glass to a local company.He said unless its 2 years old or less/has a lease spec 4 GM glass everything gets after market.GM does have a oem glass for that truck at 800 bucks-what a waste of inventory space somewhere.Didn't have time to see his guy,but stopped at another local glass shop,they have cheap and "good" carlite brand.seemed very knowlegable-glass business is pretty cut throat with the big guys,They are backed out 1+ weeks hard to find competent help that comes to work-but that's another story for another day,Ran over a staple on right rear in the travel-so something else to mess with-Yikes Later Steve!!!