Any idea what are those holes in the engine bay fender?

80Zcorn

Veteran Member
Oct 10, 2016
Israel
Especially what is the unpainted one?
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-02 at 10.00.15 PM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-02 at 10.00.15 PM.jpeg

5thTimeAround

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 8, 2020
Calgary, Alberta
The 2 holes are there stock, but someone had installed something on the lower hole in the past. I don't believe anything factory was supposed to be installed there

80Zcorn

Veteran Member
Oct 10, 2016
Israel
So it seems stock
I guess there was something there since it is not painted but they are common holes. For... nothing?

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
The upper "key hole" holds a rubber bumper which helps keep the hood centered between the fenders.

1651590631098.png

The unpainted one was probably used for your battery-body ground.

And... The bolt through the fender well (by the end of the brace) should come up from the bottom.

2ndOwner78

Veteran Member
Nov 6, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Sorry about the poor quality, I don't have access to my car right now and had to try to zoom in to a couple pictures I have of this.

That hole on my 78 has one of the dual horns attached to it. Obviously my brace isn't in place in the picture so don't let that throw you off. Was that the original attachment point for these? I know my other horn is under the latch mechanism, the dual horn was part of the LT (U05 Dual Horn) option group in 1978. Can't speak to other years or trim levels.

78CamaroInnerFender2.jpg
78CamaroInnerFender1.jpg

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
^ That's absolutely correct!

My "extra" horn wire had gotten broken when the fender was replaced on my Berlinetta with the dual horn option.
(I moved the second horn to the other side of the hood latch when the car was reassembled.)

That was 30 years ago so I had completely forgotten where it was originally mounted. 🤪

5thTimeAround

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 8, 2020
Calgary, Alberta
Sorry about the poor quality, I don't have access to my car right now and had to try to zoom in to a couple pictures I have of this.

That hole on my 78 has one of the dual horns attached to it. Obviously my brace isn't in place in the picture so don't let that throw you off. Was that the original attachment point for these? I know my other horn is under the latch mechanism, the dual horn was part of the LT (U05 Dual Horn) option group in 1978. Can't speak to other years or trim levels.

View attachment 140198 View attachment 140199
Cool! I always learn something here.

Latest posts