Any love for Base, LTs and Berlinettas? (Long read)

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by besserspat, Oct 24, 2021.

1. besserspat

besserspat Member

Like I mentioned in another post, both my first crush, my kindergarden teacher, Lucille and her "spoilerless" late 70s Camaro she drove to school every morning had a strong impact on me.

Lucille wore too much make up , had a great bod and farrah fawcett's hair... she was hot and I loved her!

But during "class" I would regularly take a peek outside the window to admire Lucille's white with baby blue stripes camaro. The back end without spoiler really stood out in the parking lot filled with Ford LTDs and other boring rides. She had 5 spoke rallyes on it , white or silver colored I cant clearly remember, damn it was over 40 years ago!

I had a real crush for Lucille and her camaro and that somewhat influenced my choices for cars and women later on...lol

11 years later, I purchased my first Camaro , a well optioned 1980 white t-top, berlinetta with a 305 4barrel /th350 dual exhausts and beige cloth interior... 14 inch black steel rims and a gaping hole in the left corner of the front bumper cover. Paid 500$ for it and leaky t-tops were not optional!

A friend had an 81 Z28 no titles that someone stole the 4 speed and pedals from. It still had a 4.10 posi and an L98 carbed engine in it..Bought the car for 400$

Eventually I swapped the L98, the entire Z/28 front end, spoilers, fender skirts and Enkei EK26 wheels into my Berlinetta. A buddy of mine painted the car and all trims bright white. The car was a looker, drove very nice and really didn't look like a fake Z/28 that a 16yo kid put together in his backyard shed, even though it was:)

I did alot of crazy stuff with that car , every single cop in my hometown knew me and I eventually started breaking stuff on the car and I couldnt keep up repairing, Sold the car after 3 years of fun.

I saw it for sale maybe 10 years later in a local auto trader magazine and the seller was trying to convince me it was a real Z/28 ...I had a good laugh!

Two years ago another 1980 Camaro landed on my lap. Its a base model and I'm trying to resist converting it to Z/28 looks this time, Its a hard top, 350-th350( soon to have a 406 and super T10) black with beige interior (Here we go again), its a little rough like a 40 years old can be but 99% rust free original and still tight. A great time capsule...I have many other cars and motorcycles but I have a soft spot for that ratty little '80.

What you guys think of Base, LTs Berlinetta camaros ?

I always had a thing for plain jane pony cars and muscle cars...I know the site is named Nasty Z/28 but I think any 2nd gen have nice body lines no matter what the trim is, just like Lucillle's :)

Peter

20210815_123648.jpg

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  2. Patstuff28

Patstuff28 Veteran Member

I was just starting to restore a nice original 1981 Z28 that needed just about everything. I noticed a 1980 Berlinetta for sale on Kijiji when I was looking for parts. It was in much better shape and was almost all original. I transferred all of the new parts that I put on the 1981 Z28 on to the Berlinetta. Ditched all of the Berlinetta badges and wheels too. Just saving up for some more horsepower.

Attached Files:

besserspat likes this.
  3. carhead22000

carhead22000 oldblue

great story brother.

besserspat likes this.
  4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I bought a nicely optioned 80 Berlinetta with a dead drive train (V6/TH200) and swapped the 305/TH350 from my 78 into it.

Eventually, it got a nice paint job, restored interior and a 350 dual exhaust, 3.42 posi and 200-4R.
    It has none of the exterior stripes or additional Z28 pieces but I like it and it gets plenty of compliments.

Your car... Build it the way you want it and enjoy it!

T/A Tom, Oldskool62 and Z28Newfie like this.
  5. besserspat

besserspat Member

Thanks for the comments guys.
    I was just curious to see how many of you are still into plain jane camaros or any plain jane muscle car. I mean we all love Z/28s and rare high performance editions, but looks like all base models have been used as donors for Z/28 restorations or turned into Z/28 clones.

But I rarely see a base, LT or Berlinetta Camaro driving around or at shows.

Peter.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  6. Ratty_81

Ratty_81 Veteran Member

Mines a Berlinetta. Grad present from Dad was an 305 5speed 83 Berl in 91. Wound up with 16" IROC wheels and Z hood before I sold it around 95. IMG_5223.JPG

besserspat likes this.
  7. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

How about my 73 RS no frills
    73 RS.jpg

8. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

My all time favorite wheels. Nice looking car.

besserspat likes this.
  9. 78TypeLTCamaro

78TypeLTCamaro Veteran Member Gold Member

I bet I am the only one with a restored TypeLT. I have had it for 36 years. It's rare but not desirably rare. It also has the 3rd rarest color for 1978. It is a separate model rather than an option like the Z28.

Oldskool62 and besserspat like this.
  10. besserspat

besserspat Member

Naked butts are always nice :) , I mean as a kid I always wanted a rear spoiler on my second gens, but its crazy how much 2nd generation F-bodies are transformed when you remove the rear spoiler, they look very classic. I had people asking me if my '73 Esprit Firebird was some sort of British GT like an Aston Martin...:rolleyes: Heres the car when I bought it in Palm Springs in 2008.

thumbnail_20211025_112508.jpg