Any love for Base, LTs and Berlinettas? (Long read)

chuck13

Jan 30, 2016
louisiana
To my eye,the early F-bodies,especially the Firebird,with out a rear spoiler look a lot like the first gen Toronados.And I REALLY like the Toros!But SOME F-bodies look kinda naked without the spoiler,again to my eye.

19806.0Berlinetta

Dec 21, 2018
Mine is a Berlinetta as well and I still have the original window sticker showing it coming from the factory with the rear spoiler and N90 wheels as added options. I like the Z28s also but will be keeping it as a Berlinetta.

dwheeler

Oct 1, 2014
houston, tx
Like I mentioned in another post, both my first crush, my kindergarden teacher, Lucille and her "spoilerless" late 70s Camaro she drove to school every morning had a strong impact on me.

Lucille wore too much make up , had a great bod and farrah fawcett's hair... she was hot and I loved her!

But during "class" I would regularly take a peek outside the window to admire Lucille's white with baby blue stripes camaro. The back end without spoiler really stood out in the parking lot filled with Ford LTDs and other boring rides. She had 5 spoke rallyes on it , white or silver colored I cant clearly remember, damn it was over 40 years ago!

I had a real crush for Lucille and her camaro and that somewhat influenced my choices for cars and women later on...lol

11 years later, I purchased my first Camaro , a well optioned 1980 white t-top, berlinetta with a 305 4barrel /th350 dual exhausts and beige cloth interior... 14 inch black steel rims and a gaping hole in the left corner of the front bumper cover. Paid 500$ for it and leaky t-tops were not optional!

A friend had an 81 Z28 no titles that someone stole the 4 speed and pedals from. It still had a 4.10 posi and an L98 carbed engine in it..Bought the car for 400$

Eventually I swapped the L98, the entire Z/28 front end, spoilers, fender skirts and Enkei EK26 wheels into my Berlinetta. A buddy of mine painted the car and all trims bright white. The car was a looker, drove very nice and really didn't look like a fake Z/28 that a 16yo kid put together in his backyard shed, even though it was:)

I did alot of crazy stuff with that car , every single cop in my hometown knew me and I eventually started breaking stuff on the car and I couldnt keep up repairing, Sold the car after 3 years of fun.

I saw it for sale maybe 10 years later in a local auto trader magazine and the seller was trying to convince me it was a real Z/28 ...I had a good laugh!

Two years ago another 1980 Camaro landed on my lap. Its a base model and I'm trying to resist converting it to Z/28 looks this time, Its a hard top, 350-th350( soon to have a 406 and super T10) black with beige interior (Here we go again), its a little rough like a 40 years old can be but 99% rust free original and still tight. A great time capsule...I have many other cars and motorcycles but I have a soft spot for that ratty little '80.

What you guys think of Base, LTs Berlinetta camaros ?

I always had a thing for plain jane pony cars and muscle cars...I know the site is named Nasty Z/28 but I think any 2nd gen have nice body lines no matter what the trim is, just like Lucillle's :)

Peter

View attachment 128596

Attachments

• camarinebest.jpeg
    camarinebest.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 52

green1971

Dec 15, 2010
Austin, TX
I bet I am the only one with a restored TypeLT. I have had it for 36 years. It's rare but not desirably rare. It also has the 3rd rarest color for 1978. It is a separate model rather than an option like the Z28.

I think I have you beat with my 1971 Camaro SS350. I ordered it in September of the prior year. It was my first high performance car that I bought when I graduated college. I never expected to keep it all these years, but I fell in love with it. The first year it was my daily driver, but after that it became my “fun” car that I only drove weekly during good weather (stored during NJ winters). I’ve made some slight modifications over the years, but it’s mostly original - and nothing that can’t be undone - no spoiler. It currently has only 37k original
6939B91B-5AC4-4A67-8536-4BA6BAE1F958.jpeg
miles. I consider myself really fortunate to have kept my Camaro all these years. Even luckier to have a wife that understands me (on more than one level).

Side note: I thought of selling it a few years ago, but I don’t think the money would give me the same psychic rewards that this car has. My son told me that when I die he’ll put my ashes in the ashtray and drive me around. Good kid.

70RamAirIII

Pontiac-aholic
Jan 10, 2005
Calgary, Alberta
... My son told me that when I die he’ll put my ashes in the ashtray and drive me around. Good kid.

That's just too funny to NOT quote!

LOL

I came around to preferring the spoilerless look - but it's a car to car thing;
Some cars need the rear spoiler to compliment other pieces - while other cars look cleaner with the spoiler absent.

Weather it be a Camaro or Firebird, first, second or third gen (fourth gens all had them), these days seeing one without a spoiler is quite an uncommon site.

Brett Liukkonen

Oct 24, 2017
I have done a few higher model higher optioned cars over the years and I actually prefer more of a base model. As others have stated, you have complete freedom and what you can do to and with the car at that point. You can add all the factory options you want, you can customize it in any way you want, or just leave it looking stock and original for the sleeper look with a built drive-train lurking below that mundane exterior. And best of all, you will probably drive it and enjoy it much more than you will your 68 SS once you get that done. I would say build it how you would have ordered it and drive the heck out of it!

My 72 is just a Sport Coupe and I have actually been looking into making some SC badging to add to it just like you would see on an SS after playing with the SS badges for placement to see how they may look.

upload_2021-10-29_9-0-49.png

upload_2021-10-29_9-1-25.png

dwheeler

Oct 1, 2014
houston, tx
I think I have you beat with my 1971 Camaro SS350. I ordered it in September of the prior year. It was my first high performance car that I bought when I graduated college. I never expected to keep it all these years, but I fell in love with it. The first year it was my daily driver, but after that it became my “fun” car that I only drove weekly during good weather (stored during NJ winters). I’ve made some slight modifications over the years, but it’s mostly original - and nothing that can’t be undone - no spoiler. It currently has only 37k original View attachment 128922 miles. I consider myself really fortunate to have kept my Camaro all these years. Even luckier to have a wife that understands me (on more than one level).

Side note: I thought of selling it a few years ago, but I don’t think the money would give me the same psychic rewards that this car has. My son told me that when I die he’ll put my ashes in the ashtray and drive me around. Good kid.
I hardly ever post anything....I'm still learning how!!!!!
camarinebest.jpeg
camarinebest.jpeg
autorama1.JPG

VitoC

Dec 13, 2016
IMG_0432.JPG

1976 LT now with 383 stroker and 2 inch cowl

Like I mentioned in another post, both my first crush, my kindergarden teacher, Lucille and her "spoilerless" late 70s Camaro she drove to school every morning had a strong impact on me.

Lucille wore too much make up , had a great bod and farrah fawcett's hair... she was hot and I loved her!

But during "class" I would regularly take a peek outside the window to admire Lucille's white with baby blue stripes camaro. The back end without spoiler really stood out in the parking lot filled with Ford LTDs and other boring rides. She had 5 spoke rallyes on it , white or silver colored I cant clearly remember, damn it was over 40 years ago!

I had a real crush for Lucille and her camaro and that somewhat influenced my choices for cars and women later on...lol

11 years later, I purchased my first Camaro , a well optioned 1980 white t-top, berlinetta with a 305 4barrel /th350 dual exhausts and beige cloth interior... 14 inch black steel rims and a gaping hole in the left corner of the front bumper cover. Paid 500$ for it and leaky t-tops were not optional!

A friend had an 81 Z28 no titles that someone stole the 4 speed and pedals from. It still had a 4.10 posi and an L98 carbed engine in it..Bought the car for 400$

Eventually I swapped the L98, the entire Z/28 front end, spoilers, fender skirts and Enkei EK26 wheels into my Berlinetta. A buddy of mine painted the car and all trims bright white. The car was a looker, drove very nice and really didn't look like a fake Z/28 that a 16yo kid put together in his backyard shed, even though it was:)

I did alot of crazy stuff with that car , every single cop in my hometown knew me and I eventually started breaking stuff on the car and I couldnt keep up repairing, Sold the car after 3 years of fun.

I saw it for sale maybe 10 years later in a local auto trader magazine and the seller was trying to convince me it was a real Z/28 ...I had a good laugh!

Two years ago another 1980 Camaro landed on my lap. Its a base model and I'm trying to resist converting it to Z/28 looks this time, Its a hard top, 350-th350( soon to have a 406 and super T10) black with beige interior (Here we go again), its a little rough like a 40 years old can be but 99% rust free original and still tight. A great time capsule...I have many other cars and motorcycles but I have a soft spot for that ratty little '80.

What you guys think of Base, LTs Berlinetta camaros ?

I always had a thing for plain jane pony cars and muscle cars...I know the site is named Nasty Z/28 but I think any 2nd gen have nice body lines no matter what the trim is, just like Lucillle's :)

Peter

View attachment 128596

Latest posts