Any turbo guru's here om nasty?? I need a turbo

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by QUAKE_WARS, Jun 25, 2018.

1. QUAKE_WARS

QUAKE_WARS Veteran Member

No portion may be used with or without permission
    I read way to many variations on turbo setups.. I AM NOT LOOKING TO DO A TURBO BUDGET BUILD. I DO NOT want to use on3 turbos either.. I will be doing all my own work including the hot and cold side.

2013 Ls 6.0 (stock bottom end) Ill be happy with 650hp to the rear wheels.
    I want to use a sleeper turbo cam. Most likely custom made.
    I will be using HOLLEY turbo exhaust with their crossover.
    Transmission is a 2008 4L80E
    Most likely a 308 rear gear

I need some good ideas for a turbo. I thought of going PRECISION 7675, but has been told
    its kinda small for my setup. Will not see the track.. pure street car.

If you have turbo knowledge and built turbo cars, please help. Thanks

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

There are a number of members who are into turbos on this site.I have a Supercharged car myself ,Weiand 142 mini blower 15lbs of boost. But I have done some research and made some mistakes in my time,And would recommend that you build your engine from the bottom end to fit your application. It a pay me now or pay me later type thing.I would also recommend a couple of of SAE books Turbochargers and Superpower.Good luck on your build,

3. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

7675 is a great turbo, especially the GT42 style. If you only want 650 at the tire, it's a good choice, with a healthy cam and heads that flow 300+ you will still have plenty of room to grow. That turbo does well up to 950-1000 at the wheel. Run 2.5" hot side piping, good tial wastegate. The Holley manifold setup is nice but leaves a little on the table. I can get you pics of the Holley setup on a 3rd gen later this week if you want. Run a Holley efi if you want simplicity in tuning and reliable as hell. Size your fuel system for 150% of what you think you need, makes sense to do it now rather than when you're pushing the envelope later.

PalmbchZ28 and QUAKE_WARS like this.
  4. slamdik

slamdik Member

I'm running a stock Borg s475 on a gen 3 sbe 5.3, triple 12 jfr cam,4l80e, Holley efi. All the Fab work by me.
    I've been driving it for 2yrs on the gates (no boost control yet) at 9lbs 12* of timing. Ass dyno says 500-550 whp. It is tons of fun on the street. I haven't been to the track yet, that's when I'll turn it up.

Idles like a stocks Silverado but at 9lbs it's utter nonsense on the street. Rolling burnouts starting at 50mph + . Not 50ft of light tire marks, straight up billowing smoke for as far as I dare hold my foot in it.
    I went cheap on the engine. $500 for a used 5.3 (mileage unknown) with head studs and a cam. Ls6 intake so it would fit under a flat hood and f body oil pan (both used).

71RSLS, Dentguy and wiseryder like this.
  5. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dang, that sounds like a blast !

6. slamdik

slamdik Member

Indeed it is. I loved my old 406 set up AFR heads, 240ish roller cam ect. but there is no comparison in raw power.
    The biggest plus is that I can get in the car, turn the key, put it in gear and drive away regardless of temperature. I also can get 20mpg + if I can keep my foot out of it. With the converter locked I'm about 2300 @ 80mph.
    To me this equals " Hell yes I'll drive this pile to work today"

7. slamdik

slamdik Member

To the OP, a cast s480 with the right cam will make 800whp with ease and spool like a champ. The guy that speced my cam goes by stock48 on ls1tech.
    Those holley manifolds look pretty sweet but I've read they interfere with the steering shaft. I flipped the stock manifolds that came with my used motor. If you can weld and have decent fab skills you could make the stock deals do the same thing as the Holley set up.

Not mine but very cool, http://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1620277-my-73-camaro-z-jy-5-3-s475-build.html

QUAKE_WARS likes this.
  8. QUAKE_WARS

QUAKE_WARS Veteran Member

No portion may be used with or without permission
    Thanks, Im using holley turbo exhaust manifolds because im keeping A/C in the car. I picked up the holley mid mountkit. Looks for second reason. In time I will build some stainless headers.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  9. jvle95

jvle95 Veteran Member

Any pics of your setup slamdik?

10. slamdik

slamdik Member

71RSLS and QUAKE_WARS like this.