Any turkey hunters out there?

larrylarry

Veteran Member
Dec 22, 2011
San Antonio Tx
I have a bird feeder that I slosh out seed onto the ground because the turkeys come to it a couple times a day but only 2 or 3 show up. I had 18 today! I‘ve seen 6 or 7 at one time but never this many. There suburban turkeys, not wild. I hunted for years, took a lot of deer, turkeys & coyotes but I’ve lost interest in hunting. I just watch them now.

Attachments

• 47A59D9F-019B-4755-8779-A8CF1AB39BDB.jpeg
    47A59D9F-019B-4755-8779-A8CF1AB39BDB.jpeg
    326.2 KB · Views: 28

73Z L92

Veteran Member
Jan 25, 2011
Carlos, MN
We seem to have two groups of turkeys that hang around our house. One group of 4-6 and one group of 20 plus. They are quite fun to watch.

Bandit723

Veteran Member
Oct 1, 2016
Waupaca WI
Yeah i have neighbor one and two. I do get a kick watching them from time to time. I do see a flock coming out of their houses at times. Haha

danbrennan

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 13, 1999
Brighton, MI
Turkeys had really declined in Michigan in the early and mid-20th century. But they transplanted some from other states, and now I see them roaming around quite regularly around our house, even in our backyard. I've also seen them in the late evening in our trees, about 15-20 ft above the ground, huddled on a branch for the night.

A friend of mine has shot a few turkeys. He said they taste quite gamey, not like the turkeys one buys in the stores. But I've never tasted wild turkey myself.

BLUE72CAMARO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 15, 2004
Bunker Hill, IL
Yep they are all flocked up for winter here in IL like that. Most likely you have 2 or 3 mature hens and their young from this spring in that group.

73Z L92

Veteran Member
Jan 25, 2011
Carlos, MN
So I might be a redneck but...
About 4-5 years ago in the summer my wife came home from a bike ride and she said there is something laying in our road ditch. I went to check it out and it was a big (like 20 lb plus) wild tom turkey that had been hit by a car. I picked it up and brought into the shop thinking how do I get rid of this thing? Then I started to look at it and it had blood around the head and it was still warm.
A few minutes later I had my fillet knife out and carved the breast meat out. The breasts went into the fridge after some seasoning and then onto the grill the following night. They were great. Grilled the breasts until they were medium well and let them "rest" for about 15-20 minutes. Not gamey at all. Keep in mind they don't have fat like a farm raised turkey.
So redneck road kill for the win!

BLUE72CAMARO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 15, 2004
Bunker Hill, IL
Yeah wild turkey is very easy to dry out compared to a butterball from the grocery store for sure. As far as the gamey taste I have found there breast meat to not be gamey at all but if you cook one whole the leg meat is gamey and extremely easy to dry out. We have only breasted out turkeys for probably the last 15 years or more.

73Z L92

Veteran Member
Jan 25, 2011
Carlos, MN
I don't know about other places but 20 years ago we never saw a turkey, tundra swans or turkey buzzards. Now they are every where here in west central MN.
Side note. Today on a side road near my house a doe got hit by a car and a bald eagle was having a late lunch on top of the carcass. Crows were about 10 yards away waiting for their turn.

BLUE72CAMARO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 15, 2004
Bunker Hill, IL
I don't know about other places but 20 years ago we never saw a turkey, tundra swans or turkey buzzards. Now they are every where here in west central MN.
Side note. Today on a side road near my house a doe got hit by a car and a bald eagle was having a late lunch on top of the carcass. Crows were about 10 yards away waiting for their turn.
As a kid I was lucky to see turkeys as there was a decent population of them in the somewhat secluded county my grandparents had a farm in. The county is a peninsula between the Mississippi river and Illinois with a lot of hills, bluffs, and timber. Probably close to 30 years ago the state released turkeys in my parents driveway and the population grew rapidly, the county had its first turkey season sometime in the mid 90's. In recent years the turkey population is definitely not as strong as it once was though. I believe that is due to the state introducing bobcats about 10-15 years ago.

Some of the other species you mention have shown up here in a big way the last few years as well. We have trumpeter swans here in the winter in pretty large numbers now, I had never seen a wild swan until 10 years ago or so. Bald eagles have always wintered on the river in this area but in recent years they are here year round and not just by the river. I have had a few at my place checking out my pond in the last 5 years and I am 20-30 miles from the Mississippi. Buzzards have been around this area as long as I can remember.

Latest posts