Any Woodworkers Here?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by sandiego74, Apr 26, 2020.

1. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't have much to do to the Camaro right now, so I'm tackling some other projects. Back in Highschool, I built a coffee table that doubly serves as a terrarium. I used a router on the inner diameter of the table top and cut about 1/4" deep and 1/2" wide for a piece of glass to rest in. However, I was an amateur when constructing this, and the dimensions aren't perfectly square, causing the glass to shift around in the extra space by a significant amount.

Is there something I can fill the voids with? I don't want to seal the glass atop the table, as having it lift away makes for cleaning the cage extremely simple. Is there something I can put on the glass, like tape or oil, that will prevent some sort of resin or silicone from sticking to it?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Hope everyone is doing well.

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

I'm not much of a woodworker, but my first thought would be to make a template out of cardboard or something else to fit to your liking and purpose. Then get a new piece of glass cut to those dimensions. Would this be possible, or serve your purpose?

3. sandiego74

I could easily get another piece of glass cut, but I was curious if there was a cheaper solution, is all. I'm probably just going to have to go that route, though.

4. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I thought there was , a JB weld type product for wood, and you could use that to fill and then have a go at it again, to get it square,

sandiego74 likes this.
  5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had a table with a glass top which set into the wood frame.

I used a thin strip (1/8” or so) of 1/2” wide weather stripping (with adhesive back) all around the frame so the glass wouldn’t rock/wiggle.

The black weather stripping framed the glass nicely and didn’t look out of place at all.

sandiego74 likes this.
  6. sandiego74

I didn’t think about weatherstripping... that’s a good idea. I’ll have to look around Home Depot to see what I can find. Was going to go today, but the lines should be shorter tomorrow.

Thank you!

7. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

This is what I would do. I would square the opening up with a router making sure everything is straight. You can clamp a straight piece of wood to the edge, taking into account the out of square. Then use a top bearing router bit to follow the straight edge removing what is needed from the top. Do this on all four sides. Now you have a square opening. Then rip some stock on the table saw to make a shim the proper size and glue back into the opening and bring it back to the size you need. Let me know if you have any questions. Hope this helps.

8. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

I am not sure of the application exactly but, if you put down plastic wrap, set it in the silicone then cut away the part you see with an exacto knife, nothing will stick to it. It will form to the object and set up in that shape.
    Could use a piece of thick paper around the glass with the plastic wrap outside that and pour in resin. Just make sure the bottom is perfectly sealed.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  9. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

a similar method is stuff called "pig putty". It is a 2 part epoxy kinda stuff (looks like a tootsie roll) you mead it up..then roll out a "rope" insert into groove.... NOW....you take your glass and wipe it with WD-40.......and insert it into your groove displacing the pig putty. Use any thing sharp to remove the excess.(or not).... let set for 15 min... remove your glass. Stuff will set up hard, conform to whatever...and the WD-40 will prevent it from sticking to your glass..... WD-40...thats the key!!!