Anybody alive in OK???

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Region' started by gutted72, Mar 28, 2016.

1. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Yes, he did some porting and bowl work and they were shaved a little bit but nothing real drastic. He's running a 3.42 posi in a "hybrid" 10 bolt rearend with 12 bolt axles. I added a pic of the "Bird before he started on it. I'm maintaining the photo files of everything he's done to it since he doesn't have a computer.

My 72 RS has a 2.41 posi in it, too but I actually liked it because I could afford to drive it every day. It still managed 14.50s through the quarter. The 60' times were horrible since it would either bog or roast the tires depending on how I tried to leave (4 speed). Once I got it moving and hooked, it would freight train the big end and go through the traps at 115-117...

Unfortunately, that motor didn't come home after the car was stolen and recovered, but I'm building another one just like it to go back in. The machine work is done and most of the parts are here. Just needs to be assembled... Too many projects and not enough time. I'm spread pretty thin... :rolleyes: :)

Recovered after 10 months in the wind...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  2. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Sounds like a cool build will be happening.
    Man 3.42 would be the stuff back then.. but i was young and concentrated on the tune and had not much money.

2.41 and still getting 117 MPH.. that thing was flying once you got it rolling..we were trapping at 75-80 MPH back then.

I had a 78 Nova with 2.56 gear and installed .308 (Ha I want to put the decimal in front of the 308)
    Anyway.. I got better MPG with the 3.08 gear by 2.. car was no longer lugging away from a stop light.

I busted 3 or 4 of those 10 bolt GM rears and finally stuck a 9" in my car.
    Much easier to accumulate gear sets or center sections and swap them in the 9"
    I had 2.29 to 4.56 and many in between.
    Find the early Ford 9's and many measure within 1/4" of the GM stuff.
    If you do not mind Ford parts on your car :)

What specs and engine was that you had that went 117.

I built this for a buddy and he hit 117 once.. mostly 115-116.
    91 octane 7-11 racing fuel :)
    http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-Nova-Timeslip-14820.html

3. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

I started by punching a 2-bolt 350 block .040" over. I had the machine shop take .025" off the deck surfaces to bring the TRW forged flat top pistons up higher in the holes. At TDC the top of the piston was actually out of the block by about .005" I used ROL composition head gaskets and topped them with HO 305 heads with 58cc chambers, 1.84" intake and 1.5" exhaust valves. Compression was in excess of 11:1 but due to the amount of quench it had, it would run on 91 octane without pinging unless you lugged it. It loved race gas... :rolleyes: :D

I did some port and bowl work on the heads and had the rocker studs pinned just to be safe. The cam was a Comp 280 magnum and I used Comp Magnum roller-tipped rockers (1.52 ratio). It got an Edelbrock RPM air gap intake and a 3310 Holley 780 cfm vacuum secondary carb. I recurved the HEI with the lightest springs in the Moroso kit and added an Accel module, cap, rotor, and wires. I also used Accel shorty header plugs and a set of old cyclone headers, 2.5" pipes and a pair of flowmaster 40s. Other key pieces were a forged crank and ARP rod bolts ( which saved the engine one night at the track ) 160 degree thermostat, and after shelling a close ratio muncie with a 2.20 1st gear, I switched to a saginaw with a 3.50 1st gear... My 60' times still sucked, but not as bad...

The engine had a bad habit of splitting 8" balancers at the keyway. I killed and tossed 3 of them (2 up into the fan shroud, 1 across the street in front of traffic), switched to a smaller 305 balancer, split it, and finally wound up with a 283 balancer held on by a grade 8 stud and hardware, loctited into the crank snout. Throttle response was unbelievable. To quote a buddy of mine, he said it would "quack like a duck"... The thing was evil. It would set off car alarms idling down the street. I loved it... There was nothing really exotic but it was definitely built with a plan and a purpose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  4. jeff swisher

I ran the 280H magnum in a350 a couple times. It gets the job done and usually got 15 mpg to boot with spirited driving tossed in.
    I ran it with 305 2 barrel heads in my buddies Nova.. used the 1978 2V heads with 1.72-1.50 valves and tunnel-ram and 456's.
    I left the stock valves and back cut them and bowl ported the heads.
    It went 12.51 at 111 MPH.

I have Vortec heads 906 casting I am working over and running a grind close to the 280H.
    It is an old Norris 288 hydraulic I did not degree wheel it so I do not know the true duration at .050" but lift is .480" and ground on a 108 LSA.
    My cam grinder seems to think I will like it. We will soon see.
    It is spinning in a 350 +.040" with stock crank.. pistons are .005" down the hole and 345np old stock USA made.

I see you were still running exhaust rotaters and oil shedders on those heads.
    I ran the 280H in some 186 heads that were milled and ported with 110 seat pressure and 1.94-1.50 valves.
    It would rev to 7200rpm that was the sweet spot to shift it.

In the smaller ported 305 2 barrel head with 1.72-1.50 valves the sweet spot was 6700rpm.

5. bazookatooths

bazookatooths Member

Thanks for the welcome im in southern OKC . Currently saving to get a bigger engine. Thinking about trying my hands at building one but with no experience seems like a scary task. Love the side pipes i bought a set 20 year ago at 16 and back before i could weld very good slapped them on my 280zx didnt work out to well but had fun trying lol.

6. jeff swisher

Not scary at all. Very rewarding.
    I love the old Z cars. once they went to the V6 I lost interest.
    I have had 5 of them 240, 260 and 280's.
    Side pipes are very cool.
    I am in Yukon but OKC utilities Yukon mail and Mustang schools.
    How big are you going??

7. bazookatooths

bazookatooths Member

Your probably pretty close to me then im mustang schools also. I really would like to get anything bigger , a 350 would be nice but i would love to get a big block under the hood.

Also on the rear bumper I have alot of these small elongated ovals all the way across the thing. I have been looking at pictures everywhere and cannot figure out what all these are for, does anyone have any information about this?

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  8. jeff swisher

We need to meet up some time.. I am near reno and mustang road
    What do you have currently ?
    an inline 6 a 305" ?

9. bazookatooths

bazookatooths Member

ya that sounds like fun im off 152 and county line area currently under the hood i have a 305

10. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

The slotted holes are for a hard rubber piece that bolts on the bumper. It's called a deluxe bumper, not sure how hard It is to find the piece for it.

Last edited: May 2, 2018