Anybody live in an area with gigabit internet?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ProStreet383, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I almost dropped to the 50mbps plan when I added to the data limit but "got scared" we would have issues. I'm probably going to do it when school starts and my oldest ships. All the calculators say 50mbps is enough for what we do. I just hate buffering (and my boy hates any "lag" that gets his character killed, like it's the lag and not lack of skill LOL)

I'm hoping Century Link brings FIOS this far out due to convenience right now. My neighborhood was pretty isolated by farms and the base but it's growing quickly. They have a major road project that requires every utility to move there stuff right now. I hope since they gotta move it anyway they think ahead and run the FIOS. I called Century Link to try and get information but it always turns into a sales pitch even though I'm perfectly clear I'm not switching until the "Gigablast" FIOS is in.

2. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

Downloaded an 80gb game in less than 20 minutes. Steams server couldn't top out the connection. Topped out around 700mbps.

Todd you couldn't give me cellular for my home connection even if it was free. Extreme low latency is key for me in competitive fps games. That's one of the many reasons I love fios. Pings are almost half of what Comcast was able to get me. We just had Comcast for a week. Out of that week we had service for one day. Then national outage then next day line up the street was cut because Comcast has had the cable laying in a neighbor's lawn the last 6 years (ever since we moved in here) and the minute we switch to them the lawn guys cut the main cable. Cancelled and signed back up with Verizon under my name instead of the wife to get new customer proving. Every 2 years we will cancel and sign back up from now on to keep new customer prices.

3. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oh sure, for now. Things will be changing. Not next year, or even the year after that, but they will. And if you've already got fiber, that's fine- I like mine too, even at the 50mbps ghetto speed. I'm talking about rural, where no one will likely EVER bother to run fiber. Heck, lots of those can't even get cable via coax. Those are the folks that could massively benefit from cellular internet (after companies get over stupid low bandwidth limits), even if they can't trifle away at FPS gaming competitions.:)

4. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

At least you guys can get internet. I live in a rural area and if I want to do anything on the internet I have to use the mobile hot spot on my cell phone, like I'm doing now :whine:

5. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

Out in MY neck of the woods (Southern MD) we have satellite internet that straight sucks.

Got a couple of new start up companies offering cellular internet at speeds greater than cell service and the MiFi receiver modems. But they're small and the demand is going up. I'm still waiting for some other neighbors to get it.

In the meantime....my phone is my hotspot. :screwup::lush: