Anybody own a North American .22 mini-revolver?

Lowend

Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca.
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 1999
San Jose, CA, USA
I dunno - don't trust .22 for a personal defense round. I'm not a big fan of .380, but I'd be more apt to do a Bersa Thunder. If it's gonna come out, I want a round that will work without having to try to shoot out someone's eye socket with a 1" barrel during an adrenaline dump

cali cruzer

Veteran Member
Mar 24, 2002
Henderson/Las Vegas, NV
I feel the NAA revolver is just too small for my hands. Add to the fact that it is slow to reload and it becomes something more of a novelty.

IMO, When using a .22LR as a defensive carry round it is about putting as many rounds as you can in the face, throat, and chest area. A quality HV 40 gr for the most penetration. Five rounds from the NAA would probably do the trick but it may be hard to group them.

I would trust my S&W M&P22 (12 rnd) & M&P22C (10 rnd) as a self defense weapons. I've fired 1000's of rounds though it using CCI HV 40 gr RN ammo and different brands of HV bulk ammo from Federal, Remington, and Aguila. I have only suffered a few misfires and none with CCI. Actually far less than 9mm bulk ammo.

I can do magazine upgrades making my M&P22 hold 18+1 and the Compact hold 16+1.
That is enough rounds to give someone a very bad day.

tvhj

Veteran Member
Nov 6, 2006
Memphis, Tn
Mike, The S&W Airweight is really hard to beat, with an Uncle Mikes No.3 pocket holster or similar other brand, you forget you have it with you. I never leave the house without at least that, (considering where we live). Be sure and practice a lot with whatever you decide on.

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
I have three CC holsters for my 638 aka J-frame. My favorite by far is a Sticky MD-5 and I typically carry that IWB at RF pelvis. Perfect!... my bellygun tucks right up into my "ample" belly. Highly recommend Sticky. I occasionally carry 638 in a coat pocket. Again, can quickly empty 638 thru a pocket without ever drawing it; No snag. No draw makes for fast delivery.

danbrennan

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 13, 1999
Brighton, MI
My carry gun is usually a S&W Airweight. A few times I have forgot I was wearing it. It is pretty light and inconspicuous. Not as thin, though, as the micro compact 9mm.

Every now and then I look at those NAA .22s. Tempting, but I have enough guns. Not sure what I would do with it. I saw the belt buckle one at the NAA site, that is pretty cool.

One thing recently surprised me about my Airweight - I let a long time(50+ years) friend of mine - a hunter who is about as big as me - try it out, and he didn't like it at all. Too much recoil for him. And he has a .357 handgun, although it's a long barrel gun. The Airweight recoil doesn't bother me at all.

Last edited:

Dave Nelson

Veteran Member
Dec 19, 2003
Vineland N.J USA
I feel the NAA revolver is just too small for my hands. Add to the fact that it is slow to reload and it becomes something more of a novelty.

IMO, When using a .22LR as a defensive carry round it is about putting as many rounds as you can in the face, throat, and chest area. A quality HV 40 gr for the most penetration. Five rounds from the NAA would probably do the trick but it may be hard to group them.

I would trust my S&W M&P22 (12 rnd) & M&P22C (10 rnd) as a self defense weapons. I've fired 1000's of rounds though it using CCI HV 40 gr RN ammo and different brands of HV bulk ammo from Federal, Remington, and Aguila. I have only suffered a few misfires and none with CCI. Actually far less than 9mm bulk ammo.

I can do magazine upgrades making my M&P22 hold 18+1 and the Compact hold 16+1.
That is enough rounds to give someone a very bad day.
I've been looking to purchase the S&W M&P22 as a training pistol for my wife. I have a 9MM shield and there's no way she can rack that do to the arthritis in her hands so starting with the much easier to rack .22 would allow her to move up to a 9MM S&W shield easy slide in the future. Now I just have to find one.

gramps

Veteran Member
Jul 5, 2009
mankato, mn
^ I use a Gamo pellet gun for yard vermin. ;)

It's not sub-sonic but it's deadly from 50 yards.
About the same sound as a pneumatic nail gun.

Love the gamo pellet gun. Very accurate and very quiet. Have sniped a few bad wabbits and one dang pesky woodpecker. Very handy for in town pest eradicating.

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
This thread reinforces how there is not one platform or caliber/load that suits all. Same goes for holsters and how one carries.

gramps

Veteran Member
Jul 5, 2009
mankato, mn
This thread reinforces how there is not one platform or caliber/load that suits all. Same goes for holsters and how one carries.

Ain’t that the truth. As much as I’d like to light up a threatening burglar with a couple rounds of 1oz super x 3” out of the ole 12guage I’m quite sure a round of .22 hitting somebody is going to stop them. Hell if the sound of my browning racking a 12g shell in the dark doesn’t make an intruder empty their bowels and run back from wence they they came....