Anybody run an MSD ready to run distributor?

ZZ430

Veteran Member
Jul 9, 2004
Crockett, Texas
Perfect, reliable, clean.

11972694766_955e4694af_o.jpg

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
You better keep that 6A box as those are ready to fail distributors, have had 2 of them fail so far, pulled out the module and ran, you guessed it a 6A with just the pick up coil after I gutted them. I have a 6A on my street car that is over 23 years old and still works to this day.

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
A good, properly freshened 4-pin coil-in-cap HEI is as reliable as any I'm aware of. Any required parts are readily available at your flaps. And, makes plenty of fire for virtually any street chevy. If you can't curve it, many others can do it for you.

If ya just gotta have a CD box, you can bypass HEI module as well. Remote coil too. simple. t-shirt

fact: back when cup/busch/truck ran CD boxes --- they ran dual boxes and dual coils and a single dist w/ dual pickups aka triggers. Primarily because, like most things, they can & do fail.

ChevyReb

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 4, 2003
SC
I've been running an MSD ready to run so far no issues...probably shouldn't have said that lol. I probably should get a replacement module to carry with me or a replacement distributor if I was going really far away from home. I honestly sometimes miss replacing and setting the points and dwell on the original distributors. I don't know many people who know how to do that any more.

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
Can’t run an HEI. No firewall room.
Understood. You can DIY convert a small cap OE GM points dist to HEI using OE parts. Or you can pay DAVE RAY to do it. He uses an MSD pickup & reluctor but those are simply OE Ford pieces. The GM 4-pin module mounts external (not unlike a 1998 GM V6 L35 or V8 L30 or L31 pickup truck). Module's better external anyway because it'll run cooler. FWIW, both GM 4-pin module & Ford trigger are dead nuts reliable in day in-day out traffic & race. FWIW --- many times, when some guys get into ignition trouble, it's often due to choosing a coil that's an incorrect impedance match.

Latest posts