Anybody running a laser jammer?

Aceshigh

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 9, 2001
Boondocks
JWZ28 said:
Just a little factoid for ya.... We can point the laser at your front tire and get your speed, and the jammer wont jam it

How is a rubber treaded surface reflecting infrared light back at the laser gun ??

I would think it would just be a dead zone ......

A laser speed gun shoots a very short burst of infrared laser light and then waits for it to reflect off the vehicle. The gun counts the number of nanoseconds it takes for the round trip, and by dividing by 2 it can calculate the distance to the car. If the gun takes 1,000 samples per second, it can compare the change in distance between samples and calculate the speed of the car. By taking several hundred samples over the course of a third of a second or so, the accuracy can be very high.

The prismatic reflection off a headlight or license plate I can believe.
A tire......I can't believe that is physically capable.

Aceshigh

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 9, 2001
Boondocks
Watching this laser gun in action, it looks like any reflective surface including
flat vertical chromed front grills or bumpers, headlights, etc are used.

[youtube]zLpAEi1kZpw[/youtube]

kenny77

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
ProStreet383 said:
LMAO at obey the speed limits. Guys saying that apparently are either older or they have not driven in maryland.]

Exactly. In Florida too. You just TRY driving the speed limit or maybe 5-10 mph over and you will get blown off the turnpike or other highways by everyone. If you JUST go with the flow like I do..Guess what? You are way breakin the law.

SupplySgt

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 20, 2009
Central OK
JWZ28 said:
I like your style sir

I wish people could see the carnage I see every day due to distracted/careless driving.... It would change a lot of people

And it'll only get worse with all the "assists" that get put in cars where drivers don't feel like they have to check their blind spot, pay attention, etc. I think these are only making people more complacent on the road.

Not to mention, most people would crap themselves if they knew the things we have to do behind the wheel in a combat zone. We're a lot more distracted than your average driver in hairy situations.

Guess what I'm saying is it's not the distractions, it's the attitude of the driver. And too many people have complacent attitudes. And like I said, it's only going to get worse the more driver "assists" they put in vehicles.

Shizzle

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 2012
oak lawn, illinois
Land Surveying instruments use lasers for distance measuring , they also have a feature called reflector less shooting. Which means we can shoot a distance to anything we can't put a prism on.

It will shoot rubber, brick, wood, anything.

Our instruments and speed detectors both operate by the same principle, bouncing a laser off something and getting a reading back. The cops get a speed, we get a distance.

The only time it has a hard time shooting is in fog.

ProStreet383

Veteran Member
May 23, 2007
MD
People can not fing drive. Thank god our truck has the best brakes of any vehicle I have ever driven. Was in a steady stream of traffic doing 40 this morning with our mowers behind us. Cars directly in front of me and directly behind me with no gap in between at all. Some guy in a ML350 must have somehow missed a 3/4 ton white truck with headlights on and a trailer behind it and thought he could make a u turn. Locked the brakes up and darted right up against the curb and just missed him by a couple inches. Went from 40 to 0 in no more than 30 feet with a trailer full of mowers. I have to give gm credit the hydro boost brakes on the 3/4 ton and up trucks is simply incredible. I know this has nothing to do with the thread topic just had to vent.

Shizzle

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 2012
oak lawn, illinois
I agree with the hydroboost. I installed it on my K5 Blazer, even with 1 ton axles, 454, cast iron trans & transfer case, & on 40" tires, the brakes will still put you thru the windshield.

JWZ28

Veteran Member
Feb 27, 2011
Alabama
Aceshigh said:
How is a rubber treaded surface reflecting infrared light back at the laser gun ??

I would think it would just be a dead zone ......

The prismatic reflection off a headlight or license plate I can believe.
A tire......I can't believe that is physically capable.

I'm no scientist but it works... whether it's actually the tire or some trim/wheels around it. Shizzle is correct, it's basically the same because we get both speed and distance

Last edited:

JWZ28

Veteran Member
Feb 27, 2011
Alabama
SupplySgt said:
And it'll only get worse with all the "assists" that get put in cars where drivers don't feel like they have to check their blind spot, pay attention, etc. I think these are only making people more complacent on the road.

Not to mention, most people would crap themselves if they knew the things we have to do behind the wheel in a combat zone. We're a lot more distracted than your average driver in hairy situations.

Guess what I'm saying is it's not the distractions, it's the attitude of the driver. And too many people have complacent attitudes. And like I said, it's only going to get worse the more driver "assists" they put in vehicles.

Well put and thank you for your service and sacrifices brother