Anyone Converted Their Washer Pump to Electric?

camaro73lt

Veteran Member
Feb 6, 2003
Hanover, PA
I had to do a repair on my wiper motor. The resistor on the terminal board rusted apart and I was lucky to find a NOS part on the 'bay. Motor is working fine again with new grease and clean-up.

I disassembled the mechanical washer pumper to clean out the hardened grease and re-assemble. Haven't gotten to work again yet. I am considering replacing it with a Delco (Rockauto) electric model. Has anyone bought one or done the conversion? The original mechanical pump is a headache by design, but has definitely stood the test of time on GM models over the years. I hate not having an original setup, but not sure I want to keep dealing with the mechanical pump.

Thanks

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Some Camaros used an electric pump instead of that mechanical contraption.
I used a reservoir, electric pump, pump harness and motor from my 78 on my 80.

It looks stock (for a 78) but you will need to build a two-wire harness from the motor to the pump if you're going to replace it with the electric style pump.

I believe the reservoir, pump and motor are all still available from RockAuto.
Pump looks like this and mounts to the bottom of the reservoir.
1677858942044.png

Finding the nut/filter to attach the pump to the reservoir may be a challenge but Corvettes from 75-91 used the same one. (ebay)

That part looks like this:
1677859445956.png

It won't be a cheap conversion by the time you get all of the parts required but mine still works 30 years later.

I don't think this setup will work with intermittent wipers.

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
Did this several times over the years. Universal pump in the bottom of the tank. Plumb it around the factory pump to not stand out much. Rigged up the wiring so that pushing in the wash switch runs the pump motor instead of the relay in the mech. pump. Been a while so you'll have to sort out the wiring. Those old pumps were a pain in the @zz.

grzewnicki

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 9, 2009
Gordon from Jacksonville Fl
I had two of this style sitting around from when I worked on Iveco trucks in 1980, mounted it to the fender next to my stock 72 w/s washer reservoir. I should have tucked in inside the wheel well more to hide it, oh well nother project to do someday, of course I'll have to lengthen the wires to move it a few inches behind the fender wall. You can pick these pumps up for 10-15 bucks.

1677861996170.png

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
With those you want to be sure and either blow into the tank or suck on the hose to get the pump primed before the first start. Easy install with that one though. And you can get a shot of fluid with the electric addon before the wipers swipe the grit on the glass.

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
When the original pump on my '81 Chevy pickup died and I couldn't find a replacement, I simply picked up a generic replacement electric one at the local auto parts store and installed it. It worked just fine for years.

camaro73lt

Veteran Member
Feb 6, 2003
Hanover, PA
Thanks for the washer pump info! Lots of options out there. I'm continuing to troubleshoot my OEM pump and will decide soon where to go from here. I strive to keep my car as OEM as possible. Found a NOS pump on the 'bay.

Latest posts