anyone have issues wearing a mask? No politics.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Jimmac, Nov 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Nuk, nuk, nuk, nuk, nuk! :lush:

2. biker

biker Veteran Member

I like the 3m mask too. I have one that is a full sealed face shield as well for refinery use. They are comfy and super adjustable. I agree the cloth and even some of the medical style masks certainly dont seal; I dont think they are supposed to. I just think they are supposed to limit the "blast radius" of sneezes, coughs, and droplets/breath from regular speaking and breathing.

xten likes this.
  3. xten

xten Veteran Member

Good point. Guess they'd protect you from "Spittin Sammy" if he was wearing one

4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Only issue i had was i sneezed with it on once and buggered it up. Moral of the story carry a spare.

5. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I try to use the disposable masks for very brief periods of time. What I've found is that I get a headache like being in a closed up garage with the engine running for hours. I think it is because of the extra CO2 that gets trapped behind that mask that normally isn't there when you aren't wearing a mask. I also break out in a clothes soaking sweat (literally soaked down to my underwear and socks) and brief moments of panic that makes me grab the mask and lift it to get a breath of fresh air. I don't see how a person who isn't sick should be making themselves sick on purpose, because I breath and operate just fine without that and the moment the mask goes on, I start getting the symptoms. Thank goodness I work outside and don't have to share close spaces with other people.

6. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Doesn't really bother me, do it when I have to.

We had the older gas mask (forget the nomenclature) when I was stationed in Germany. This made air traffic control communications very difficult, trying to talk into a mike, through that mask. Someone came up with an ingenious idea of putting a small mike into the mask, in the area of where it sealed around your lower chin. Unfortunately they used a standard mike that wasn't moisture proof, and when you started sweating in the mask, you could get a shock. It was only 5 volts, but would still zap you. I was in the tower at Ramstein as an evaluator during a simulated chemical attack. I heard a yell and a mask went flying across in front of me, followed by a string of four letter words. Luckily the new masks that came out shortly after were designed to be fitted with communication gear.

If you want some ideas on alternatives to common mask, here's some ideas. https://bemorepanda.com/en/posts/15...-protect-yourself-during-coronavirus-pandemic

7. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The glasses fogging is an issue for me, although I can usually just take my glasses off, I don't need them much inside stores. My wife has trouble breathing through the masks, though. For some reason she's short of wind lately anyway, and the masks make it worse.

I played some hockey last week and the week before, I'm glad they weren't asking us to wear masks on the ice. I think that would have made me short of wind.

8. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Same as others have said, fogs up my glasses a lot. I take Zinc, Vid D and Vid C everyday. Had a funny kind of flu but not flu last Nov. so it may have been Covid, but who knows. I can tell you all this, I am not going to wear a mask outside no mater what anyone who acts like my Mom used to try and get me to do thing I will not adhere to. Never listened to her either.

danbrennan and gramps like this.
  9. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

I have issues breathing warm humid air. Was out over the summer walking around at Home Depot. I get light headed & then the headache starts. I can’t sleep with a blanket over my head, be outside in summer too long, or not have a fan going when it’s above 70.
    We don’t wear them in the office at work so I’m only stuck using them at the stores.

10. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's been pretty heavily researched that Masks don't have a large effect on Blood-02 saturation in hospital staff. The last thing you want is a vascular surgeon getting light-headed with a scalpel in his hand.

Part of the issue is getting a mask that fits you, just like any other piece of clothing, you'll probably need to try a few.
    Guys with glasses (like me), you need your mask to have a nose-wire, there's just no other way to get a good seal. There are stick-on strips that work pretty well for me.
    I've found that the commercial anti-fog spray works pretty well if you apply it daily. I got a bottle of this stuff about a month ago, it's probably got another 3 months worth of stuff in it
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CNKTKJS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.