Anyone have pushbutton start in thier camaro?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by 1971CamaroGuy, Feb 12, 2021.

1. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

I really like this feature on my wife's car and toying with the idea of doing it to my 71.

Already have EFI and the dash apart right now cleaning up the wiring. My only concern is how to address the stock ignition switch and the spot on the column.

I have a tilt column, but it would be nice if someone made that piece that houses the ignition switch as a smooth blank piece.

I guess I could pull mine and modify it, removing the ignition switch protrusion and smoothing over.

Just wanted to open some dialog about it, and see if it's something I would want to do

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You need to consider the steering wheel lock feature tied to the key cylinder along with the wiring for the ignition circuit.

You don’t want the ignition circuit “hot” all the time so you need some way to activate that circuit with a fob, separate switch or something.

The push button would simply be a way to trigger the starter circuit.

3. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

This is hilarius. People somehow think that a pushbutton starter is a new and novel idea. This is how all the old 30s and 40s vehicles were setup. Our 1940s farm tractors and trucks had them. Now suddenly people think it is something new again.

Bamaro and Bentley like this.
  5. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

I don't get it, is this a jab at me?? I went back and looked and I don't think I acted like this is a new and novel idea....my wifes car has this feature and I like it, all I was saying

McCune, 75Maro and berg2695 like this.
  6. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

I used to think like you, until I got a car with pushbutton. It's not so much pushing a button to start the car so much as its starting the car without fishing your keys out of your pocket. It seems like a tremendous amount of work to retrofit to an older car, but it's a useful system. The "button" is almost secondary to the larger idea.

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

The trick is, to have the push button and still have the security so that not just anyone can jump in it and go. Personally, I think the expensive option is the way to go. You can get an IDIDT column with the key already deleted and no steering wheel lock. They sell a push button start kit that is designed for the column.

https://www.ididitinc.com/i-2504936...black-powder-coated.html?ref=category:1310143

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The problem with adding a pushbutton to an older car is that it doesn't have the necessary electronics to power the ignition up before starting and powering it down to shut the engine off. So unless you install a complicated and expensive system to do that, you still need the key switch to first turn on the ignition and again to shut off the engine.

So, instead of getting the key out and putting it in the ignition switch and starting the car, you now need to get the key out, put it in the ignition, turn it to run, and then push the start button. It just got even more complicated, and that is why car makers dropped that 80 year old idea already in the 50s and simplified it to a single key switch.

9. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

I integrated mine such that you can't start the car without the key fob. Even if you tried to hot wire the ignition.

I also disabled the steering wheel lock such that I don't need to put the key in to start it.

I also wired it up "in parallel" with the existing ignition in case some thing fails im not left
    stranded. But so far haven't had that happen.

Operates just like a brand new car.

M1 Master Gunner likes this.
  10. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

The IDIDIT has a control box, it works like OE.