Anyone have pushbutton start in thier camaro?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by 1971CamaroGuy, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Camaro Joe

Camaro Joe Member

I think it a great idea. I'm in the process of doing that, this is what I'm doing:

- Purchased a new Flaming River tilt column without the key or lock.
    - Purchased I-Key from Digital Guard Dog, this has full functionality of a modern car and has optional GPS tracking.

I do have a modern Gen V LT setup and intend to install the bottom where the cigarette lighter is on the dash.

2. Bentley

Bentley Veteran Member

I agree here, although pretty sure I am NOT going to retrofit one into one of my older cars..
    My new Chevy Truck has this and while I "old School" poo pood this at first I now also enjoy not having to fish for keys in my pockets already full of a Handgun and a cell phone......
    Although I still need to remember to turn off the WORTHLESS stop/start feature.....

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  3. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Haha, those stop/start features are the worst. After decades of driving crap boxes, everytime a car I'm driving quits at a light, I break out in a cold sweat untill I remember why it did it. I'll never get used to that. Some cars it can be turned off, some not.

75Maro likes this.
  4. Camaro Joe

Camaro Joe Member

FYI
    On vehicle with factory towing packages just plug in a trailer plug and it will bypass the stop/start function.

TTR230 likes this.
  5. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Mercifully, none of my cars have that "feature", but that is a great piece of knowledge to hang onto.

6. Bentley

Bentley Veteran Member

I had a econobox loaner and unlike my truck it did NOT have a turn off button..... I found if you put it in Neutral, it will stay running.... People tell me after the warranty expires you can have a computer geek turn it off permanently......

7. bullheimer

bullheimer Veteran Member

i'm 65 yo. i not only wouldnt want one, but it takes two keys (if i turn them both off) AND a hidden electric fuel pump switch to make it run. one key is the stock location on my 56 chevy truck, the other is the stock location on the steering wheel (79 chevy truck). i wired them in series. the column locks w/o the key obviously. only the column key's start function works. it will run about 1 minute without the fuel pump on. i guess i'm paranoid?

berg2695 likes this.
  8. biker

biker Veteran Member

HA! Good point! I've owned enough clunkers that shut off/seize/grenade or otherwise quit on their own, that I dont need a new one doing that. (Not that I will buy a new one.)

9. Bentley

Bentley Veteran Member

I can confirm, its an ugly feeling......

biker likes this.
  10. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

lol....yeah my FIRST experience with the "fuel saving mode" i was in a rental car in St. Louis ...just left airport...lost in some hood. I'm sitting there trying to find out WTF i am at (about 0200 hrs)...when the damn car dies...:eek::whine: , I happen to hit the gas pedal and it started back up????? :cool:... Had to google "how to turn off feature in XXXXX car"