Anyone have pushbutton start in thier camaro?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by 1971CamaroGuy, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Robert stuart Bell

Robert stuart Bell Rsb78LT

if your like me and not thrilled with the security features of the original 40+ year old ignition system that can be bypassed with a flat head a hidden or not so obvious ignition switch can be quite useful.
    when I replaced the harness in my 78 I cut the face of the ashtray door off, made some hinges and a latch that now hides the actual ignition switch and push button for the starter. however I left the keyed switch in the column, it may take 3 steps to start my car but if you try to start it with just the key it sets off a 12v air horn :)

also just a thought but wouldn't the cost of replacing starters and flywheels out weigh the fuel savings of these so called eco friendly cars?

2. Stelan

Stelan Member

I recently made a new dash for my 78 and installed a start push button, it comes with a relay box, that powers a large starter solenoid that I'm installing in the engine compartment, I still need the ignition key to power it all and I also wired the ignition switch to the solenoid so I can crank it either way, I'm deleting the column switch as I'm simplifying all areas of the car, I did it because I think it looks cool not for anything else.
    upload_2021-3-25_2-17-21.jpeg

Robert stuart Bell likes this.
  3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Its claimed that the starters are super robust to handle the extra usage. I don't think the feature has been around long enough to determine for certain...I do wonder if the majority likes the feature and it will stay for the long run. I should test a tank of gas and see if it really saves me anything.

4. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

I think that horrible start-stop feature is intended to reduce emissions rather than save gas. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going anywhere as the masses have been utterly brainwashed into believing that we're destroying the planet by existing. So far, in all of the cars I've driven, this "feature" can be switched off, but I'm not sure that the manufacturers will allow that going forward in the not too distant future.

5. Bentley

Bentley Veteran Member

As I have said, the last Chevy " loaner" I had did NOT have a shut off feature... More of this to come with Biden voters taking over...

TTR230 likes this.
  6. Stelan

Stelan Member

exactly