Anyone have stock 1973 seats that lean back too far!

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Lynd McCormick, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

My seats are in good shape but they seem to lean back too far. Both seats lean back the same and there doesn't seem to be any way to overcome this. There are posts that stick out that latches the seat back and it seems that it is what it is. Has anyone shimmed their seat frames or the frames to the floor?

Attached Files:

2. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

I had the same problem. My previous owner put about 2 inches of washers and a longer bolt in which was not the answer. I have replaced the stock seats with those from a 2016 nissan 370x. These seat have adjustable backrest and lumbar support.

3. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

I have a friend who has offered me some really nice Arizen leather racing seats that has everything including lumbar, but the company is out of business and the seat frames are out of an AMX. I'd have to refabricate much of it. The Corvette guys loved these seats back on about 09, they look like new.

I like to sit up pretty straight, these stick seats are just too leaned back.

4. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

image.jpg image.jpg Here's my original 73 seats they sit pretty nice, but not really anyway to adjust them though

5. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Maybe the recliner is broken . Do you have a handle on the console side ?

6. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

You could always cut the hook and make it longer and weld a block to the arm to make it sit up more

7. xten

xten Veteran Member

It probably wouldn't make a lot of difference, but some of those seats had a snubber on the rear of the seat bottom that the seat back rested on. If all four of them were missing, it would make the seats lean back a little. Am I thinking of the '70 seat? Or do the later ones have them too?

8. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

No recliner handle and no snubbers. Like bodymanbills picture, the searback rests on those posts and the posts are straight.

9. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Is anyone familiar with where the bracket fastens to the upper part of the seat frame? Can it be bent where it attaches or above? My bracket looks just like bodymanbills picture and the latch sticks out straight.

10. Popper

Popper Veteran Member

One fix is to get a sleeve that fits over the Torx bolt that the release rests on. I had the same issue and found some sleeves at Lowes. This fix put the seat in a more upright position. I think Fbody WH also has a a kit.