Anyone have this problem with new AMD quarters

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by lapedr, Feb 26, 2018.

1. rcsf500

rcsf500 New Member

Love to see some pics !

2. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

working on it

3. lapedr

4. lapedr

Please anyone let me know what you think of my work, this is the first time I have ever done this type of work. I have always in the past relied on bondo (haha), but now that I have a welder I want to do it right.

5. Brian

Brian Veteran Member

I don't know if you got yours put on yet but check everything twice. I put some on a 79 and had some of the same problems. I used ratchet tie downs etc till everything seemed (key word being seemed) good and started tacking it in. Everything fit nice from the wheel well to the trunk channel. For the life of me I don't see how I could even possibly move it in any direction other than what it was. After it was all set and done i went about fitting the rear spoiler and to my disgust, it wont sit flush on the quarter no matter how much I have opened up the holes or moved it around. Pulling them tight with the mounting nuts brings them closer but having up to a 3/16 inch gap in some areas and some distortion in the quarters is not acceptable to me. Not to mention the poor alignment with the center trunk piece. I never thought to check the spoiler and now I am sick to my stomach. the trunk gaps are also not to my liking:mad:

6. lapedr

Wow thats not good, what are you gonna do now

7. 70ZED

70ZED Veteran Member Gold Member

Great work there ! Thanks for the pics too. Just doing the rear frames on mine and quarters are next. Good to see the structure in there first. Mine needs drops and outer tubs. How did your tubs fit ?

8. Brian

Brian Veteran Member

Not really sure, I just quit working on it for awhile because I was getting so frustrated. Right now about the only way I see it all coming together is to fit the spoiler to the car but I definitely will need to research working with fiberglass. Everything else fits pretty good except for the spoiler and the trunk gap is way to wide for me even though it was wide to begin with. Im going to have someone over who is in the business of restoring cars to see what they think about it first.