Anyone install a car seat in a Gen 2

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Millwright, May 9, 2019.

1. Millwright

Millwright Member

So I get it, a child carseat is not necessarily something you want to see in your camaro but I am buying it as something we can hopefully use as a family. Has anyone installed one in a gen 2 (specifically a 73)? I am going to need to put a forward facing seat in the back. The main seat belt should be fine but not sure what I can attached the upper anchor to. I want it to be safe and not have to make any permanent modifications to the car.

I googled this a while back and didn't find much useful about putting child seats in classic cars. Lots of angry people raging on about how children shouldn't be put in classic cars. Lets not go that route.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  2. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

Yeah, probably not much to attach the top anchor to without making modifications. You could probably use a u- bolt in the deck... but not sure how safe that would actually be...

On the other hand, many kids rode safely in the back of many Camaros before the new safety regulations... just sayin.

By the time my kids are riding in my Camaro they'll be able to sit in front.

3. Millwright

Millwright Member

I'm ok with having to make a modification. I don't want to do something overly obvious that can't be removed.

I use to ride on the parcel shelf in the back of my dads 63 Corvette when I was a kid (and I'm 35).

4. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

When I first got my car, I bought some 3-point seat belts from SeatbeltPlanet.com. They were easy to put in the back seat and work flawlessly. They would work with your child seat.

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

For the seats that belt in I found the lap belts held those seats in way tight. I later added 3 points in the back when the kids moved to booster seats.

If you have to use a latch system I guess you could run it through the reader deck and reinforce it underneath. Eventually you could take it out. new package trays are pretty cheap.

Peck likes this.
  6. Peck

Peck Veteran Member

My 1979 Camaro was my daily driver between the time my son was 2-6, a forward facing seat works just fine. As far as strapping it down I used the factory lap belt tightened down as tight as it could, his car seat never moved.

7. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Agreed. I ended up buying a new aftermarket belt and buckle instead of using the vintage stuff.

8. Millwright

Millwright Member

So I figured out my final solution. I picked up a car seat tether out of a GM pickup truck from the scrap yard. I was able to bolt it in behind the seat and the final product is pretty clean looking. Used a grade 8 bolt and heavy washer which will be stronger than the metal its attached to. Should be safe and I am happy with the end look. Also pretty easy to remove later on without any lasting reminders of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dave@ztech and Peck like this.
  9. Tadunats

Tadunats New Member

Which car seat did you end up going with? Sorry for being off topic.
    I've been doing a lot of research on car seats. I can see some people don't understand them when i've read a few reviews then I went and checked out blog reviews. Jeez it's just hype. You never get anything negative about the seats. Finally I've found a decent website which talks about evenflo everystage review and they actually mention the negatives. Do you have any advice which would help me.