Anyone know a Honda Tech?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bfmgoalie, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Some of these electrical demons require more than cursing, head scratching, google searching and forum posting to be appeased.

Have you tried sacrificing a goat to the volcano gods during a blue moon?
    ;)

I wish I had a solution for you but I have to say I am truly thankful it’s not my car!

One faulty electrical connection or integrated circuit is all it takes to cause a problem like this and it can be nearly impossible to find and fix without understanding the entire system. :mad:

I wish you luck!

Dave Nelson likes this.
  2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

About as much luck of that fixing it as the magic fuse LOL

3. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

I read an article on Google which is very similar to what I've experienced. They said the keys have to be reprogrammed. I'm going to take a buzz down and talk to a service advisor and see if these could be the problem and if they can resolve it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I suppose you're right.
    The "Magic Fuse" is engineered to separate audiophiles from their assets.
    (They don't even claim to fix security systems in Hondas.)
    upload_2020-12-29_8-52-11.png

5. dkcamaro

dkcamaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's probably what it is going to be. i would have thought the places you brought the car to would have said that?

How many keys do you have for the car? Did you try a different key if you have one? And see if it worked?

If you go to get the keys reprogramed you have to bring all the keys you have with you, otherwise what ever key you don't bring when they reprogram them will NOT work. Good time to get another key if you don't have one. Good Luck

6. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

http://www.smithtoolsupply.com/Electronics-Diagnostics/SO-ESA-30.html

Way back when I was in High School working at a Chevy dealer we used memory savers whenever we had the BATTERY OUT/ disconnected FOR ANY REASON. I have this same tool even today and use it without fail, As does every Toyota dealer service dept.
    Did you use a device like this when switching batteries ? It was designed to prevent the 1 time out of 100 that issues occur.
    And to those that say....Oh that's BS that's not needed.... You just haven't hit that magic 1 in 100 time yet.
    Worst part about problems like this is it really shakes up your faith in the reliability of the car.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  7. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I guess you've never run into intermittent electrical connections? Good for you I guess.

8. xten

xten Veteran Member

I talked to a Honda tech yesterday and asked him. He said it's an ignition/security/communication problem. He said he's pretty sure it's either the fob or ignition switch not communicating with the computer. He also asked if you held the + and- battery cables together when you had the battery out. Apparently this is suggested.

9. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I can honestly say in 30+ years I have NEVER had an intermittent issue be traced back to a fuse. I would have figured a guy with your knowledge and experience could see the comedy in a fuse being and intermittent open.

10. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not the fuse itself, but the fuse connection. I've run into this more than a dozen times over the years, not always in cars, and not always fuse sockets, but long term use in humid environments (maybe this is why you haven't seen it) can cause some weird gremlins. The high-mile Pilot my son drives had a few weird electrical issues that I couldn't figure- this key issue once, along with side mirrors reaching for the sky, DVD Navi not booting, SRS light on, and the horn randomly not working. I disconnected battery, pulled and reinserted every fuse and relay in the boxes, disconnected and reconnected a few pigtails, and it's been fine since. I did have to replace the driver mirror motor, but the passenger side has behaved for 1.5 years now. And none of this has shown back up. Well, the Navi turned out to be a casualty of an overzealous detailer- foamed up the whole thing under the driver seat- but it boots to the "no disc can't start" screen now.
    That's one example. I have a 5V circuit with a long wire run at work and the pressure gauges often dim over time. If I wiggle/rotate the glass fuse in its carriage the gauges brighten, and the values displayed increase.

As to an intermittent fuse- I've seen one in my life that I recall. My buddy's 91 B4C Camaro that Mike (ULTM8Z) was helping us program chips for. This car was a comedy of errors, but about a year into trying to get this thing right, it developed an electrical issue. I forget what wouldn't work, but no voltage to the circuit. Pull the fuse and check it- it's good. Put it back- nothing. WTF? This goes on for several minutes, until I rummage up a spare from my junk. Put it in- fixed. Double WTF? I look closely at the fuse (regular blade size), and it was actually broken- not blown. When on the table, it would read as a short. Put it in the socket, or just put some vertical force on the blades as if inserting it, and the "U" fuse link would separate just enough to open. I may have posted about it here, 4-5 years ago.

So that's my experience. This might not be the issue at all, but it doesn't cost anything but a few minutes, and since I didn't see any Honda techs pipe up (I'm not one either), I figured I'd throw something out before he pays the dealers hundreds to sort it out.

Have you tried a second key? I didn't see that mentioned.
    The Mustafa-style three-times-to-make-it-work seems relevant to the whole thing as well, but I don't know the system well enough.
    Using the "theory of recent activity" method for troubleshooting- this started with the battery swap, is there anything near the battery related to this system?