Anyone know about hot water heaters?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 76 camaro car 1, Mar 21, 2021.

1. 76 camaro car 1

76 camaro car 1 Veteran Member

I have a Sears electric hot water heater that just guessing is about 50 gallons. The thing has gotten to when I take a shower the water will be very hot at first but after about 3 minutes the water starts getting cold. It used to have plenty of hot water. It has 2 heating elements. One close to the top and one close to the bottom. I am thinking one of the elements needs replaced. If it stays on for a couple of days it will unset the reset button. Any input is appreciated.

2. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

The elements are easily diagnosed with a multimeter. Just have to check ohms on the elements. Plenty of videos out there to show how to do this correctly. They are relatively easy to replace should you need one. Just have to drain the water down below whichever one needs to be replaced. Absolutely make sure the breaker(s) is OFF before you poke around.

76 camaro car 1 likes this.
  3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'll ask the somewhat obvious question: How long has it been since you drained/flushed the tank? Crap builds up in there, people are supposed drain/flush once a year, no one ever does.

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

They have a fill tube so the cold water goes to the bottom and the heated water stays at the top where it comes out.

If that tube rusts off, the cold water coming in goes out the top before it uses the water which has been heated.

BTW... It’s actually a cold water heater. ;)

5. Dan Videoman

Dan Videoman Member

It's the bottom element. I have apartments all with electric water heaters. I do about 1 a month. Check it with a test meter. Do your self a favor and get a 1/2 drive socket to change it. Don't use the cheap socket wrench for it. The new element
    is about $20 bucks.

6. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Don't drain the tank until you have broken loose the element. They can require some real torque to start un threading you need that weight on it

7. doug mundahl

doug mundahl Veteran Member

sandlapper and 76 camaro car 1 like this.
  8. hwprouty

hwprouty Member

I jsut drained/flushed ours!
    I couldn't believe the amount of sheet came outta there. I actually turned the feed water back on to help push crap out... Kept going until it was clear, helped a lot!

roadrace2 and 76 camaro car 1 like this.
  9. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

your COLD water heater elements SHOULD have some small numbers on them. You will want to write those down (after you take a picture....so you can blow it up to see them) so you can order the correct ONES. If you replace 1....do BOTH. You should be able to access the heaters by removing a small panel screwed to the outside and some insulation.

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Before going to a gas heater the elements and stats on the 240v units are easy to replace.
    Kill pwr, drain, swap parts, refill water, turn pwr on.