Apple will not help FBI unlock terriorist phone

Camarolina

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 12, 2009
Unionville, NC
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-california-shooting-timcook-idUSKCN0VQ0XW

This is an interesting one. This is a new type of technology issue.
Still a lot of details that are unknown.
My thinking is from what I understand at this point Apple keeps saying they will not make a "backdoor" into their iPhone security. It is also said Apple shouldn't have to pay for the making of a program.
A District Court Judge has ordered Apple to provide "reasonable technical assistance" to investigators.
The government says the problem is that only 10 incorrect password entries make the phone wipe itself of all the info. They say they want Apple to make it so they can enter unlimited password attempts and that one would have to have the phone in physical possession to do so.

I have a few questions.
Apple acts like if they make this software it will escape and make their phone hackable. Apple has proprietary software they keep secret. Why not this software? If the government pays Apple to do this the money issue is moot.
Also what if a iPhone owner forgets their password and does not have it copied down anywhere? What do they do?
I see this eventually making it to the Supreme Court.
I don't own a iPhone or any smart phone for that matter.
If any iPhone owners can expand on this I would be interested.

Rich Schmidt

Veteran Member
Mar 27, 2010
Denville NJ
Because any time something like this is created,it can fall into the wrong hands. Apple pretty much designed the phone so that if the password is lost,you might as well throw the phone in the garbage. That is their main selling point. Apple markets their phones as being un-hackable,so this defeats their advantage in the marketplace. The government doesn't just want access to one phone,they want a program that will give them access to any phone that they get their hands on. The ability to hack phones could feed a multi billion dollar criminal market,and once a method has been developed,it will be impossible to contain.

Camarolina

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 12, 2009
Unionville, NC
Rich Schmidt said:
Because any time something like this is created,it can fall into the wrong hands. Apple pretty much designed the phone so that if the password is lost,you might as well throw the phone in the garbage. That is their main selling point. Apple markets their phones as being un-hackable,so this defeats their advantage in the marketplace. The government doesn't just want access to one phone,they want a program that will give them access to any phone that they get their hands on. The ability to hack phones could feed a multi billion dollar criminal market,and once a method has been developed,it will be impossible to contain.

The feds even offered to give Apple the phone. Apple extract the info and give it to them. So saying they want to be able to hack any phone they get their hands on is incorrect.
Like I said before. Apple has proprietary software they keep secret. Why can they not keep this secret and only use it if the feds get a court order on a specific phone for a specific reason?
If you forget your password your phone is garbage? Those things are expensive and the info being lost could be very important. That can't be true.

onovakind67

Veteran Member
Jul 8, 2001
Fairfield, CA
Let's say that this phone had the name and address of every gun owner in the U.S., serial numbers of all his weapons, how he got them, combinations to all the gun safes and some extraneous info about the terrorists. Would Apple be right in giving up this info?

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
Apple won't do it cause they're afraid someone will hack in and get the code for the back door then we're all in bigger sh!t.

Camarolina

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 12, 2009
Unionville, NC
onovakind67 said:
Let's say that this phone had the name and address of every gun owner in the U.S., serial numbers of all his weapons, how he got them, combinations to all the gun safes and some extraneous info about the terrorists. Would Apple be right in giving up this info?

Huh?
At least use a hypothetical that is even remotely possible.

Last edited:

Camarolina

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 12, 2009
Unionville, NC
COPO said:
Apple won't do it cause they're afraid someone will hack in and get the code for the back door then we're all in bigger sh!t.

Once again. Apple has software and info it keeps top secret for itself. Why can it not keep what the FBI needs done to themselves? The truth is that they can.
I bet you if Apples CEO's family was in danger and that phone would help, he would have that iPhone opened in an afternoon.

Last edited:

Camarolina

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 12, 2009
Unionville, NC
I just read that Apple helped the FBI and prosecutors open dozens of iPhones from something like 2010 to 2015. Now no? Come on.

Latest posts