Apple will not help FBI unlock terriorist phone

Camarolina said:
I started this thread hoping to get more info from actual iPhone users not have everyone regurgitate the same lines that they heard on the television.
How does that security work? Do you have to specifically turn it on? Is every bit of info on the iPhone automatically secured or just the info you want? What do you do if you forget your password? Stuff like that.

There is a 4 digit pasword or fingerprint scan that can be enabled or disabled at the users preference. In this case the security feature were enabled. Entering the code wrong too many times, wipes the phone clean erasing all data, apps and history

It's my understanding that the Feds are not asking Apple to take the phone and get back with them. That are demanding that Apple provide them with a back door.

I for one support Apple. Their security functions are superior and one of the many reasons why I own several of thier products.

We allow too many of our liberties to be taken in the name of safety. "Well if the government says it will make me safe, well then I guess I'm okay with it"

Lol. So your liberties are eroded away one grain of sand at a time.

onovakind67

Veteran Member
Jul 8, 2001
Fairfield, CA
No. I think the future implications of privacy invasion far outweigh the present value of supposed information.

If we could prevent a future terrorist attack by registering all guns in the U.S., would you support that?

harbone66

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 15, 2011
Central Illinois
onovakind67 said:
No. I think the future implications of privacy invasion far outweigh the present value of supposed information.

If we could prevent a future terrorist attack by registering all guns in the U.S., would you support that?

Whos privacy, a dead guy that killed a bunch of people?

Again not what I said...:rolleyes:

I am a gun owner and don't believe I should register my guns

Camarolina

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 12, 2009
Unionville, NC
I think its funny that so many folks put their lives into a pocket computer and think its their own little fiefdom. They feel their privacy begins and ends with their pocket computer. Their wrong. How did we ever get around government scrutiny before Apple encryption? Oh the horror.
Not to mention any tech can and will be hacked eventually. Their faith is misplaced.
I have never had a iPhone or equivalent and I have my privacy. I have never had any problem doing and/or communicating something I didn't want law enforcement to know. There is nothing on my computers I would not want law enforcement to see and that is no accident. I would not want them to touch my computers without a court order though.

onovakind67

Veteran Member
Jul 8, 2001
Fairfield, CA
Camarolina said:
I think its funny that so many folks put their lives into a pocket computer and think its their own little fiefdom. They feel their privacy begins and ends with their pocket computer. Their(sic) wrong. How did we ever get around government scrutiny before Apple encryption? Oh the horror.
Not to mention any tech can and will be hacked eventually. Their faith is misplaced.
Use they're there. Where does a person's privacy begin and end?

manifoldsrme

Veteran Member
Aug 2, 2003
Marshalltown, IA
If you give even an inch, within a few decades miles will have been taken. History is proof of that. I support Apple 100% on this one. Privacy has been eradicated enough. What little is left should be held onto tightly. I don't give a damn what the circumstances are. Period. As soon as it is decided that "in this case only", within 20 years being pulled over for a burned out taillight will be excuse enough for the cop to seize your phone on the spot and "investigated" for criminal activity. Thank you for having some balls Mr. Cook!

Camarolina

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 12, 2009
Unionville, NC
I know that if I wanted to do bad stuff in this country I would get the newest and best encrypted iPhone immediately. Oh wait, terrorists in San Bernardino all ready did.
Ok. Here is a hypothetical that has a very good chance of happening.
Lets say there is a terrorist cell of 20+ people moving through the United States. They are well funded and very serious. They all have the newest and best encrypted iPhone. Over time a few of them get scooped up here and there for various reasons. Suspecting terrorist ties they are investigated and found that they do have terrorist ties. Lets say the info on the iPhone will expose the plot and perpetrators. Our law enforcement knows it has to access their iPhones. They obtain a court order to do so but because of reasons we all know, they cannot. Over the next couple months the remaining terrorist pull their plot together and enact it. Multiple large terrorist attacks happen simultaneously around the US killing and injuring thousands of American.
This is the tradeoff for not letting the government use a court order for a specific phone in a specific case.
Not to mention all the other type of criminals that will flock to the highly encrypted smart phones. Drug dealers, human smugglers, child molesters, congressmen, senators, councilmen, street gangs, cartels and on and on and on.
Sure this could be the preverbal slippery slope in time and that will be dealt with when we it rears its ugly head. But here and now there is a major problem upon us and it has to be dealt with.

Last edited:

onovakind67

Veteran Member
Jul 8, 2001
Fairfield, CA
Camarolina said:
Ok. Here is a hypothetical that has a very good chance of happening.
Lets say there is a terrorist cell of 20+ people moving through the United States. They are well funded and very serious. They all have the newest and best encrypted iPhone. Over time a few of them get scooped up here and there for various reasons. Suspecting terrorist ties they are investigated and found that they do have terrorist ties. Lets say the info on the iPhone will expose the plot and perpetrators. Our law enforcement knows it has to access their iPhones. They obtain a court order to do so but because of reasons we all know, they cannot. Over the next couple months the remaining terrorist pull their plot together and enact it. Multiple large terrorist attacks happen simultaneously around the US killing and injuring thousands of American.

Camarolina said:
Huh?
At least use a hypothetical that is even remotely possible.

Exactly what I was thinking...

Latest posts