Apple will not help FBI unlock terriorist phone

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Camarolina, Feb 18, 2016.

1. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good in theory, the problem I see is what the government wants a backdoor so they can access it easier/simply put. If they put anything of that nature in the iphone, regular people will crack it. They don't want to be apart of it at all and I back them.

Starts with one movement for an backdoor into our most personal items, you may stop 20 people but they are suspects yes? They was being tracked by other means than just a phone. We are so technologically reliant now that we seem to lost the ability to do footwork anymore. Yes, it sounds dumb but we can't what if a scenario.

I don't want anymore privacy taken away than I do gun rights. The movement against guns was 1 thing at a time, when they get their first win, everything follows that movement, and I really do fear that. I am not a political person, I am just a regular joe and this is my perspective. Would be nice if mcafee could actually crack the phone that way there would be no pressure on apple, however if it isnt this case. They will demand it again in future unless it gets shut down now.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  2. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

The encryption deal here is only a problem if the person is DEAD. Go accross the US/Canada border. They've looked through my phone many times and I've always given them the password because 1.I have nothing to hide and don't want to waste their time and 2. They are legally allowed to. So obviously anyone working for the FBI has the same legal right to get someone's phone password out of them or hold them until they get it.

Why would a terrorist use a cell phone, one of the least secure things there is, to communicate all information. Ya its hard to physically unlock, but literally everything to do with cell phones is traceable including location. Text messages are sent via radio waves which are accessible by ANYONE. I'm just not convinced with the OP's argument that this guy is gonna have tons of details on his phone. I could never see any intelligent criminal logging every move of his groups on his smart phone.

3. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Except Imessages, text messages are recorded, 'imessages are encrypted ie, nonhackable. Every message is encrypted, atleast I read that when they first came out with it. Green- see able, blue- nope. it goes as data and no one can see it but sender and receiver.

Exactly, I agree with your statement. We cannot get rid of our privacy just because some people have bad crap on their phone. Seriously? I would hope they are following a high value target with more info than relying on getting their phone.

4. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Nothing is actually encrypted. Everything you send via SMS, I message, bluetooth or wifi HAS to go through the air. Furthermore all of those things operate at the same frequency, they have to. It sounds way out there but ultimately everything is literally "up in the air." Sender and reciever's phones share one common password and then they can understand what's being texted. I'm no expert but ultimately nothing is truly secure if someone can read it.

5. Camarolina

Camarolina Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think you should do some digging into this for yourself. You are just repeating what is on television.
    Apple has helped law enforcement many many times in the past few years get into iPhone encryption. Every time this happened law enforcement went to a judge and got a court order. Then they went to Apple and Apple did it. Law enforcement did not ask Apple for a 'backdoor'. They just wanted the manufactures help. That is what happened. So your saying law enforcement wants a code or something built into a iPhone is very incorrect. History does not show what you and the media say. I trust Apple to keep their secrets secret but also help law enforcement when appropriate, not give them anything. I too would be against Apple handing over a key. That is not what law enforcement is asking.
    I know you haven't yet but please don't parrot the media's silly notion that if Apple does this their secret will escape somehow and everyone will have it. Apple has the best encryption. Example one, their own iPhone. They have proprietary encryption for their own companies software secrets. They got it covered.

6. Camarolina

Camarolina Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I never said that guy would have 'tons of details on his phone'. You just said that. The phone would have contacts, certain types of messaging, maybe down loaded information from a cohort. Most likely some nuggets that would aid law enforcement with what they had already learned through more common methods.

7. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Maybe you mean: "The Government should use their own hacking capability and not rely on anyone."

Do any of you really think they cannot hack anything they wanted to?

But maybe start a news story, and a few terrorists may get a bit sloppy. ;)

8. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Agreed, and if they can't they go to Facebook!:crazy:
    This was actually confirmed on 60 minutes when they did a story on Zuckerburg a couple years ago.

9. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

Charlie Rose is having an excellent show discussing it now.

10. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Should your phone be unlocked and the contents read at the whim of some random request?
    We could word this as apple will let anyone to read your info and the internet would babble differently.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016