Approximate Horsepower

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Dan Chrysler, May 6, 2014.

1. middleagecrisis

middleagecrisis Veteran Member

325 hp at the flywheel. A fresh trans w/shift kit and a 2200 stall will make a world of difference in the fun factor.

2. Dan Chrysler

Dan Chrysler Member

Wow thanks guys
    I'm guessing DD is a HP calculating software
    What is the full name so I can try and get it for myself
    Thank You

3. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

i didnt see what exhaust you have. But just to throw a hp number at it, 300 to 320.. the 650 will fell snappier than the 750, but it all depends on how high you plan to reel it up. With headers and dual 2.5 inch, 320 to 330ish

4. Dan Chrysler

Dan Chrysler Member

It does have factory dished pistons and headers with 2.5 " exhaust
    Thanks for all the feedback. My goal was 350 hp and it sounds like I'm pretty close with my current setup and to get anything more I'm going to be into a full rebuild and big bucks. From what I have learned here a roller motor is the way to go to get more.
    Thanks guys

5. CamaroGP

CamaroGP Veteran Member

Desktop Dyno by Comp Cams
    Jeggs and Summit both have it, I'm sure other places as well.

6. BigEd36

BigEd36 Veteran Member

Dan, the setup you have now is a very well balanced setup for the street. Your engine specs pretty well duplicate the Chevrolet Performance Parts 350HO (330 hp) and the CT350 (350 hp) circle track crate engines, although you have a slightly "bigger" cam with a more modern grind (more aggressive ramps) than the #24502476 cam that's used in both of those engines, so I believe you are squarely in the 350 hp range. My concern with the Bootlegger grind that you have is that the longer duration is going to "soften" the bottom end a little. Your tranny rebuild and higher stall may negate that, it may not, but beware you may lose a little bottom end. What I see as a bigger difference in the 2 grinds is the narrowing of the LSA (lobe spacing angle) from 112* on your present cam to the 108* LSA on the Bootlegger cam. I think this will have a bigger influence on your engine's personality than the duration difference. The narrower LSA will narrow your torque curve slightly, but have a higher peak. A narrow LSA hits harder. When the engine "comes on the cam" it has a little more of the "Thor's hammer hit you in the ass" feel than a wider LSA cam, but doesn't carry out quite as far.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  7. Dan Chrysler

Dan Chrysler Member

Thanks for the feedback. My goal was 350 HP after the top end build.
    I read everything I could find for the build. It does work well but felt I went a bit small on the cam so I bought the bigger one. Been sitting on it for a year now trying to get a better understanding of the potential outcomes before installing. I should have went with the next size VooDoo grind but was swayed by the claims of the Bootlegger sound and performance.