Archery tackle - arrows, releases, rests, sights...etc...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by rscamaro73, Aug 20, 2008.

1. cali cruzer

cali cruzer Veteran Member

I came to the realization that my elbow issue has pretty much ended my archery days.
    I sold My Bear recurve last month and just sold my Archery Engineering Co. (Tice & Watts) recurve this past week.
    I guess it's just guns for me now.. ;)

2. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Camaro is just another hunting /fishing vehicle isn't it??
    Every car I have had has taken me fishing at least.

I hunted with a Ben Pearson target masted recurve for many years 40lbs at 34" pull.
    I used NO sights just instinct shooting.Killed a lot of squirrels and other small animals. Even got a dove once.
    I made Flu Flu arrows from turkey feathers for short range shooting.
    No jigs though.. just eyeball them.
    Never killed or even shot a deer with it..sat and watched a lot of them close enough for a compound but too far for my single string Tarzan bow :)

We as teens used to gather in my back yard and shoot at a styrofoam block and drink beer and listen to the Eagles on cassette.
    Most of us moved onto heavier fire power and some of us took up reloading ammo and casting bullets.
    Heck I was casting fishing sinkers when I was 12.. so not biggie really.

I think motor heads like all kinds of power and sport..so no surprise to me that archery is in the mix :)

3. BlackBlur

BlackBlur New Member

It's funny, I'll go 150mph down the strip in my camaro but I'm scared to death at 30mph in my bass boat

djorgensen3 and jeff swisher like this.
  4. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am sure there are several of us archers still around here but most the guys in this thread no longer hang out here unfortunately. Couple really good dudes in that group!

5. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

I hunt when I get a tag. I prefer Archery but lately have only been getting rifle tags. Took me 21 years to get an Arizona Strip tag. Have 10 point for Elk and 15 for Antelope. And I just got another deer tag for an area I've never been to but at least I get to go.

And I hear you on that!! I have gone 181 on my Busa but my buddy took me 93 in his bass boat and told him to put on the shore and I'll watch from there. I was terrified in that dang boat!!

6. sprink

sprink Veteran Member

50 in a boat feels like a hundred.
    An archery thread is never to old to bring back.
    Have a ten point x-bow, but still use my mathews compound also.
    I've realized while practicing this summer that with old eyes, my 4 sight pins (20,30,40,50) now look like 8 pins!
    Gonna have to make an adjustment this fall.

7. jeff swisher

167 on my V65 magna and 176 in my 78 Nova and even super fast on water with Prop being the only thing in the water and the boat chiming a bit does not bother me.
    I Love high speed.
    I have only gone 91 or92 on water and it was powered by an olds 455 with jet drive an old newman boat.
    That one would surprise and take money from those pointy jet boats.

That is sad you guys must put in for tags.
    I feel lucky here with all the public hunting areas and abundance of deer.
    If you hunt all seasons which I do because I have a lifetime license that covers all tags etc. I can bag 7 deer a year.
    And all the hogs you want.
    2 I like to hunt are pretty nice and one is 7,700+ acres by the red river and the other one is 9,500+ acres not to far from the 1/4 mile race track.

8. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

We have an over the counter option for archery deer here in Az but we also don't have the numbers of deer like back East. If any of you all make it out here for an Elk hunt or Arizona Strip Deer tag, let me know. I'd be glad to take you to where the animals are and call for ya!!

jeff swisher likes this.
  9. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

Haven't had the time to go out in the woods to hunt. Just enough to feed them for a few years. But that changes this year. Which reminds me, I gotta get some new broadheads and practice tips.

Son, wife, and myself taking the new hunter education course so they can get licenses without issues.
    Still shopping for a nice crossbow, which is now legal for everyone in MD.
    Waiting for a deal on a nice powder rifle for that season.
    Still shopping for the right shotgun for hunting my woods too.

jeff swisher likes this.
  10. jeff swisher

Bear Fortus cross bow is what i got because I chronographed many that claimed 300fps and they were in the 289 area no better than my compound.
    The bear went 350 with supplied arrows. but ends/knocks need glued onto them.
    Heavier arrows went 330.

I have shot a few black powders and hunt with them and I have CVA rifles 2 CVA bobcat side locks. and a CVA Kodiak both love the Power belt HP 295 gr bullet. If you are good they will hit 1.5 MOA or better.
    My first 3 shots from my first Bobcat rifle clover leafed I thought I had missed with the next 2 shots. 100 yards 90gr Pyrodex and 295 power belt.
    That it a max load as that bullet will come apart like a hand grenade once inside the critter.
    I have made lead inserts to push into the HP nose and they sit flush.. you get a nice mushroom when hitting deer with that mod to the bullet.

Shotguns I have and love my old savage stevens 12 gauge pumps. and I also have a Browning I paid 160 for it a 12 gauge A5 from 1928 or 1924 Never any issues with any of those guns.. and the A5 cycles super fast.

I actually tested it against my 45 acp pistol.. a HI-Point.
    I could get off 5 rounds from the 12 gauge just tenths of a second after the 45 acp went through 5 rounds.
    The 45 cases still in the air as I shot the last 12 gauge round.
    That was low power 71/2 field loads vs 200 gr cast from the 45 with bullseye powder in the case.

Not that you can hit anything during rapid fire ;)