Are Gen 1 Small Block stuff worthless anymore?

Kamikaze

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 4, 2005
So. Lake Tahoe CA. USA
So after being gone for some time with life's challenges, I've been trying to figure out what direction I need to go with all these cars and parts laying around...
Part of my problem is that I have SO MUCH Stuff laying around and can't get to one car or another until I clear out some little stuff. Things like blocks, heads, transmissions, intakes, etc.

But what is really making me crazy is that there is so much demand for LS engine stuff that I'm wondering if I held onto all the old Gen 1 small block stuff too long to be worth any value?

I don't have a lot of rare or desirable stuff for a "numbers matching" collector but I just would like to clear out some stuff so I can get to the cars I want to sell and start making some room.

What do you all see as the current state of Gen 1 engine parts?

351maverick

full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer
Aug 11, 2010
erie, PA
it's sad to say but around here it is scrap....right now $100/ton

blocks/heads/cranks etc are literally worthless

351maverick

full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer
Aug 11, 2010
erie, PA
$$$ can still be made if you are capable of selling online

clamshell motor mounts often sell for $40..brackets, pulleys etc DO sell

guys will buy transmission tailshafts, yokes sell VERY good

I've sold a lot of Chevy 4 bolt main caps & bolts

so there IS $$$ potential, it's just not by selling the big, heavy non-shipable parts

Kamikaze

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 4, 2005
So. Lake Tahoe CA. USA
$$$ can still be made if you are capable of selling online

clamshell motor mounts often sell for $40..brackets, pulleys etc DO sell

guys will buy transmission tailshafts, yokes sell VERY good

I've sold a lot of Chevy 4 bolt main caps & bolts

so there IS $$$ potential, it's just not by selling the big, heavy non-shipable parts
Don't like the idea of packing a shipping tranny's and engine blocks! Intakes and other parts, maybe...

larrylarry

Veteran Member
Dec 22, 2011
San Antonio Tx
I'm still stuck in the gen 1 world, but all I'd be interested in are mostly aftermarket parts, such as intakes, pistons, rods. Gen 1 OEM parts, just good usable 350 or bigger bear blocks & forged cranks. If I can get a real good price on a useable 350 long block, heads, pistons & rods usually get thrown out.

Jerry Lee W.

Nov 7, 2009
near Tacoma, WA
What do you all see as the current state of Gen 1 engine parts?
Right now they might not be worth much because of the LS bandwagon, but they may be worth more later down the road. The flathead engines, cadillac, buick, and first generation hemis all bring good money to the right buyer. I just read an article in HOT ROD where they bolted a cheap Amazon turbo kit to a junkyard 350 and made well over 500HP. I wouldn't write off the mouse engine yet. Just my opinion.

Jimmac

Veteran Member
Dec 24, 2013
tucson az
This stuff might be considered worthless to the guys with deep pockets and willing to do ls swaps but there are alot of guys happy with just keeping the old chevy truck running down the road. And if you buy project cars and throw them together its a lot cheaper to use the stuff you already have vs. having to go out and buy even a stock 350. I always found that parts everyone considers worthless suddenly gets expensive when you need to replace that part.
my advice is to make a couple complete motors with brackets, pumps and pulleys all mounted up and dump the rest. (This advice coming from a guy with 2 350's 1 400, 3 454's 2 muncies, 1 th400, 4th350s 2 12 bolts and a 10 bolt in the shed) jim

Kamikaze

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 4, 2005
So. Lake Tahoe CA. USA
This stuff might be considered worthless to the guys with deep pockets and willing to do ls swaps but there are alot of guys happy with just keeping the old chevy truck running down the road. And if you buy project cars and throw them together its a lot cheaper to use the stuff you already have vs. having to go out and buy even a stock 350. I always found that parts everyone considers worthless suddenly gets expensive when you need to replace that part.
my advice is to make a couple complete motors with brackets, pumps and pulleys all mounted up and dump the rest. (This advice coming from a guy with 2 350's 1 400, 3 454's 2 muncies, 1 th400, 4th350s 2 12 bolts and a 10 bolt in the shed) jim
Hey Jim, I hear what you're saying but I don't have the time or money to deal with building up the engines because if I do it, I'm gonna spend the time and money to do it right, so no one can come back and say it was junk or a rip off...

Latest posts