Are Gen 1 Small Block stuff worthless anymore?

muscl car

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
Gallatin Tennessee
So after being gone for some time with life's challenges, I've been trying to figure out what direction I need to go with all these cars and parts laying around...
Part of my problem is that I have SO MUCH Stuff laying around and can't get to one car or another until I clear out some little stuff. Things like blocks, heads, transmissions, intakes, etc.

But what is really making me crazy is that there is so much demand for LS engine stuff that I'm wondering if I held onto all the old Gen 1 small block stuff too long to be worth any value?

I don't have a lot of rare or desirable stuff for a "numbers matching" collector but I just would like to clear out some stuff so I can get to the cars I want to sell and start making some room.

What do you all see as the current state of Gen 1 engine parts?

Are you getting rid of any day2 parts ?? , maybe a Edelbrock SY1 ??

Kamikaze

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 4, 2005
So. Lake Tahoe CA. USA
Are you getting rid of any day2 parts ?? , maybe a Edelbrock SY1 ??
Sorry Buddy!
My ashes will be encased in THAT intake! LOL!

Seriously though, I have a couple of 4-bolt main 350 blocks, a few TH 350's 700R4's, some cranks, rods, Rod and Piston combos, Gear Drives, Distributors, and a bunch of odds and ends...

muscl car

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
Gallatin Tennessee
Sorry Buddy!
My ashes will be encased in THAT intake! LOL!

Seriously though, I have a couple of 4-bolt main 350 blocks, a few TH 350's 700R4's, some cranks, rods, Rod and Piston combos, Gear Drives, Distributors, and a bunch of odds and ends...

SY , My suggestion is haul that stuff to your local high perf swap meet and collect the cash . I couldn't use any of that stuff as I'm getting ready to build a 13.5:1 410 sbc with all the expensive go fast parts and using a Dart Little M block

Kamikaze

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 4, 2005
So. Lake Tahoe CA. USA
Hard to give sbc stuff away around here.
Yeah it seems just like the magazines that all I see anymore is 2nd Gens with LS engines. Frankly, I'm sick of them but I do see the performance and efficiency aspects.

Once I get better organized, I plan on posting up stuff in the Swap meet section to give our members a chance at some of this first.

Jimmac

Veteran Member
Dec 24, 2013
tucson az
Didn't mean to build the stuff for others. Just keep a couple spares for yourself and dump the rest. Since 2005 ive dragged home a 70 chevelle 64,67,68, 71 el camino. 71 nova, 71 c10 and a 66 chevelle. The 64, 68 el camino and the c10 were the only ones with motors and trannies. All the others were bought no motor or trans etc. Basic rollers. Having the spare parts allowed me to get them back on the road in months and kept the costs way down. Thats why I tend to keep certain parts because even though I see a my 66 chevelle is my last project, I have a feeli g someday some other project will show up in my yard. Jim

RS1979

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
Memphis, TN
I've got a small journal 1967 327 w/double hump heads that I've had for years. One of these days someone will want it.

fatkid_racing

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 21, 2005
Saginaw Texas
Pretty much worthless around here too, the dirt track guys snatch up certain parts but that's about it. Most of it winds up getting scrapped, which sucks because some of us don't have the budget for the LS platform. I can't ever find the stuff I need, and when I do people think it's worth a mint.

night rider

Veteran Member
Aug 6, 2002
Bremen, Ga
Gen 1 sbc market is still great in GA. I sell a ton of sbc parts. All of these are to local buyers and things I have sold in the last 90 days or so...
Smogger heads $75-100 a set with rockers
Vortec heads $250-300
Double hump heads $250-500 depending on what has been done/added to them
Running 305 engines $350-400
Running 350 engines $450 and up.
Core 350 engines $250-300
Serpentine belt complete swap $300
V belt brackets, pulleys with the alt, wp, ps pump $150
TPI complete system w/o wiring $350
T5 5 speed trans w/o bellhousing will sell all day long for $500
Q jet carbs $75-150
Edelbrock and holley carbs $125-225

Led Zep

Veteran Member
Mar 13, 2008
Ky
If starting over,LS no doubt.Us old guys have too many Gen 1 parts laying around,so I am going to use them.

Latest posts